FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By HarrisAz
ok,whats the voltage/color temperature etc ?

Harris
By HarrisAz
matt,do u think a 36W 6200k will work for TC cultures?
By GardenNub
Just FYI, I ended up getting this light as an early birthday gift :) http://www.amazon.com/Output-Fluorescen ... 025&sr=1-4
'Hydrofarm, 2 ft 4 bulb, t5 high output fluorescent. 90w = 8000 lumens. Though the specs say its rated at about 6500 lumens. Either way I think Im set for what I have right now.(1 VFT, 1 Drosera, 1 tomato plant, 1 primula, 1 dwarf calamondin seedling, 1 coffee seedling if it germinates, 1-3 mimosa pudica when i find the seeds buried somewhere. lol)
By dantt99
That's pretty expensive, I have a Hydrofarm also, but only 1 bulb. It shoud be a great light though! It'll cover a large area of space! :)
By Matt
JimsPlants wrote:
Matt wrote:
dantt99 wrote:Okay, I was just saying that I think that they are actually very effective! :)
Oh, absolutely! I use T5s exclusively for my indoor growing setups. I have four 4 footers on each shelf that perfectly fits four 10"x20" trays. They work great!
Matt, i would love it if you could please put up a few pic's of your current indoor set up if you get a chance.
Posted some photos of one of my grow racks here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/one-o ... t9324.html
By goldslinger
I will second the Sunblaze HO T5 systems. They are pretty much the only UL listed lamp that is very affordable. I have found some for under 30 bucks. I recommend 2 for pot collections across a 10 or 12 inch shelf, and 3 for 18 inch wire rack systems (4 is even better).

They put out 300% more light than a standard t12, come standard with 6500K lamps and can be daisy chained together for one outlet (up to 5). They are a single lamp 'stick' so You can space 3 or 4 evenly over the space of a bakers rack for Your 10 x 20 trays. I own about 15 of them now. My plants do very good under them. A 4 inch cord comes with each one for linking together. A much longer cord comes optionally for shelf to shelf joining.

I like mine about 6 to 8 inches above the highest part of the VFT. They are too bright for some pings at that distance, though. They really do 'blaze.'

They are lightweight, and I wire tie them in place on the above wire shelf in 3 places on the strip. You can order reflectors for them, but I have found them unnecessary unless they are high enough that Your eyes are blinded by them.

p.s. they come with a diffuser plastic lens; I suggest sliding it off as it kills some of the brightness. The only thing I have found better than these are My LED'S.

Gary
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!