FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Daniel_G
Well, for the past week i've been pestering my mum to take me to B&Q so i can get some sphag to sow more Drosera seeds, but then i had an insane idea Why not try cotton wool? I thought, so i did use cotton wool, i've sown some Binata, Binata "marstons dragon" Spatulata and Capensis "alba" If it works, i'll have another 500 seedlings to deal with, if i doesn't, i'll have 500 less seeds to sow :lol: Wish me luck!

What do you reckon will happen? Has anyone else ever tried cotton wool? Please comment :)
By moof
I guess they will germinate if given water, capensis and spatulata are weeds and a friend of mine germinated them even on socks (for some worrying reason, she had the idea that the sundews will germinate well on them; but apart from that she also tried pure sand, garden soil, pure water etc. - and the seeds germinated everywhere), so they will germinate almost on anything. As for cotton wool it is even used as a germination "soil" for some small plants such as utrics, for the seedlings not to be overgrown by mosses until they grow up a bit.

Peter
By Daniel_G
Wow! My idea may not have been so insane, And i have definetly got to try germinating on socks :lol:

Thanks!
By dantt99
I think it's a good idea. The only question I will ask is why you like to germinate on LSM? Just curious. I like to germinate on peat and silica, or peat and perlite, well now it'll be peat and silica. Pics?
By Daniel_G
Well first of all, i don't use live sphag, I use dead stuff, and i like it because it's water absorbent and i like the look of it and it seems to be pretty mold resistant :)

I'll get some pics up soon :)
By dantt99
squirtoman wrote: i don't use live sphag, I use dead stuff
Oh okay... I guess I made the impression that since you didn't say LFS you meant LSM.
squirtoman wrote:I'll get some pics up soon
Can't wait! D:
By Daniel_G
Ok Daniel :) Here's your picture of my, strange and makeshift "set up"
Attachments:
who needs sphag.PNG
who needs sphag.PNG (734.93 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
By dantt99
Interesting! Not what I expected at all! :lol: Nice thou :)
By Jaws
moof wrote:I guess they will germinate if given water, capensis and spatulata are weeds and a friend of mine germinated them even on socks (for some worrying reason, she had the idea that the sundews will germinate well on them; but apart from that she also tried pure sand, garden soil, pure water etc. - and the seeds germinated everywhere), so they will germinate almost on anything. As for cotton wool it is even used as a germination "soil" for some small plants such as utrics, for the seedlings not to be overgrown by mosses until they grow up a bit.

Peter

Weeds ?, "gasp", :p.......... i love my Capensis and Spatulata troughs.
By victor
Cotton wool sounds like a good idea.
victor liked this
By sekler
For germinating, all seeds need are humidity and heat. Since sime people even germinate seeds in pure water, there is a vast array of possible methods to be used. That's of course in order that you use a fairly inert media that won't leach minerals on the seeds/seedlings. I remember that as a kid my mother used cotton wool to germinate everything. Now, even if it germinates doesn't mean that its gonna suit the seeds to grow them. Most likely cotton wool is not acidic how CPs love them. The seeds would have to be transplanted id say once they sprout. Since we often prefer to have the seeds sowed, sprout and grow in the same container to avoid unnecessary steps, that's why most will use directly the proper soil. I would have to say that however several including myself will use long fiber sphagnum for seeds. Its main properties are that it holds water very well (high humidity) and mainly it has anti-microbial capacities which helps to avoid fungus/rotting. It also is sort of airy which helps to maintain initially a healthy root system. Peat moss or other mixes will help too since it holds water well. There are lots of possibilities here :)
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!