FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Krisshawnee
So for whatever reason after seeing one of these Clumping Cultivar venus fly trap I've found I rather like them. I'd love to find a place to purchase them but it seems they aren't sold in the flytrap store. Anyone know where I might find a site that sells these?
By Matt
We don't sell them in the flytrap store because it's really not a strongly desired clone and the cultivar description is pretty vague. Also, I don't know if the exact clone which was named in the description was ever distributed. But there are many, many clones out there that exhibit the clumping.

We will carry a clone name "Freely Clumping" and it will fit the clumping cultivar description.
Matt liked this
By Matt
Krisshawnee wrote:Where should I look for it? Or perhaps when?
It won't be offered in the store for a while. In fact, I'm not sure I even have any potted out at the moment. I think I only have it in tissue culture right now.
By Krisshawnee
I'll be sure to look for them. :D Of course I'm leery of ordering right now as it gets pretty cold here right now and I'd be afraid they'd die in the mail. x.x
By Matt
Krisshawnee wrote:Of course I'm leery of ordering right now as it gets pretty cold here right now and I'd be afraid they'd die in the mail. x.x
Oh, even if I potted them out tomorrow, it would be a few months before they were ready for sale. But you shouldn't worry too much about shipping plants, especially temperate ones, during the winter months. The USPS folks keep them from freezing during transit and as long as someone is home to bring them inside when they arrive, there is almost no risk of damage occurring to the plants due to freezing or getting too hot.
Matt liked this
By Krisshawnee
I will definitely be looking for them to be up for sale. And thank you for that info. I've always been worried about that as some plants I did purchase some time ago didn't fair too well in shipping. x.x
By dantt99
If you look at any of the pictures I or jht-union put up tonight (Photos of Other Carnivorous Plants) you can see the plants we received today. The Cephalotus I got was wonderful, so was jhts! They're from FTS :D
By Krisshawnee
Sure does. xD I just hope that upon purchasing them, I can keep them alive next winter. x.x I've had vft a few times and while I can get them THROUGH the winter, I can't seem to get them to resume growing after. Instead of coming out of dormancy, they die on me.
By dantt99
Do you improve the conditions (or are they outdoors?) so that the plants know to come out of their sleep? If they don't get warmer temperatures and more light, they will stay dormant. Good luck next time :). There are some VFT care guides on http://www.flytrapcare.com/ the website linked to these forums. The articles are very helpful for beginner growers, and you will find Matt's writings incredible! :D
By Krisshawnee
I actually didn't find this site until after I lost the last one. I live in West Virginia and it's generally too cold here to have them out doors, from what I understand, at least in the winter. Because of this, I have to keep them indoors during winter. Everything I read suggested removing them from their pots and putting them in a cool dark place which is what I tried. When I removed them and brought them in they looked good, but after replanting in peat moss and perlite (neither having miracle-gro and the likes in them) and placing the plants in a window, I still lost them. They acted almost like they would dry up to nothing even though they were kept damp. I'm hoping that with the finding of this site and the abundance of wonderful help that I can figure out what's wrong and actually have plants survive. :D
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!