FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
After reading Gary's (goldslinger) post today about fertilizing his flytraps foliarly with Maxsea, I decided to go ahead and give my indoor flytraps on my grow rack a quick, light spray down. While I was doing so, one of them caught my attention. Last year I flasked somewhere around 400 seeds that were given to me when I went to visit Bob Ziemer at his house in McKinleyville, California. There have been several plants from that seed harvest that look interesting and this one definitely looks very interesting...at least to me.

I snapped a few quick photos of it tonight. The basic characteristics are very short teeth that look either dente-like or sawtooth-like, pale coloration, long leaf-bases and somewhat elongated traps. Check it out:

UPDATE: And I later found out that it has extra trigger hairs along the rim of the trap that appears to be a stable trait:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/anoth ... tml#p89569
Matt liked this
By dantt99
Wow! What'cha call that one, Altoids? :lol: It's pure white, with the little dots :D It's very interesting! I'm not a huge fan of pale traps, I love the bold colored one but it looks nice Matt! :)
By Steve_D
Wow-- That is a nice one, Matt. To anyone who hasn't tried growing Venus Flytraps from seed yet, this is one of the biggest thrills--to see the genetically unique plants they produce, which are virtually impossible to get from commercial sources (which almost all grow and sell only clones). It seems to me that in each batch of perhaps 100 seedlings, 2-5 seem to be very eye-catching and special in some way. It's a lot of fun watching seed-grown plants mature, even though it takes a few years. Matt speeds things up by germinating them in tissue culture on a nutrient-based medium, but they're fun to grow and watch "the old fashioned way" too. :)
By dantt99
HarrisAz wrote:whats "fertilising foliarly"?
That's when you fertilize by spraying something onto the leaf of a plant :)
By jht-union
I love it, you can name it FTS white-tooth!!!!!=), congrats matt, i too have about 2-3 seedlings in my pot, they are very little and is hard to tell, but they look they'll become something special, and their traps are different, they are really extended to the sides, it looks more like a leaf of a tree than a trap. The other the leaf is long, and the trap is bended, really hard to explain, i will have a huge update on all my CP's later, so everybody should be able to see them.

Good luck with this fella! =)
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:Wow-- That is a nice one, Matt. To anyone who hasn't tried growing Venus Flytraps from seed yet, this is one of the biggest thrills--to see the genetically unique plants they produce, which are virtually impossible to get from commercial sources (which almost all grow and sell only clones). It seems to me that in each batch of perhaps 100 seedlings, 2-5 seem to be very eye-catching and special in some way. It's a lot of fun watching seed-grown plants mature, even though it takes a few years. Matt speeds things up by germinating them in tissue culture on a nutrient-based medium, but they're fun to grow and watch "the old fashioned way" too. :)
Yep, although I really like propagating already named clones and making them available to many growers, I absolutely love growing completely new and genetically unique flytraps.
dantt99 wrote:I already named it Altoid :lol:
jht-union wrote:you can name it FTS white-tooth!
Dionae wrote:That thing looks extraterrestrial. Maybe you can call it "E.T.":P.
Hah, all of those are great names! :)
jht-union wrote:i too have about 2-3 seedlings in my pot, they are very little and is hard to tell, but they look they'll become something special, and their traps are different, they are really extended to the sides, it looks more like a leaf of a tree than a trap. The other the leaf is long, and the trap is bended, really hard to explain, i will have a huge update on all my CP's later, so everybody should be able to see them.
I look forward to seeing photos of your seedlings as they get older jht-union. I'd really like to see photos of many people's seedlings. It's great that we're building a community here that will grow new and unique flytraps. I think that someday soon we'll have a list of U.S.-born clones that rivals that of the European growers!
Matt liked this
By HarrisAz
but will VFTs absorb something which is sprayed on the leafs?i believe the leafs of plants can excrete water during the day through the stomata but can they suck things??

this is an interesting thread for me!
By moof
Looking good! I find 'Sawtooth' to be one of the most variegated cultivars, lots of different forms. Great to grow them from seeds as they have different characteristics quite often.

Peter
moof liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!