FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By GardenNub
So i was going through some older posts just reading and looking at pictures when I came across a post about U.calycifida. It said something about it trapping its prey in little white balls in the roots? What does it eat and how does this work?
By stitz25b
it eats small lifeforms like daphnia and peat bug. (i saw one catch a tadpole. you should you tube it) the traps, when triggered, create a vauum and suck to bug i the traps
By Grey
Like stitz said, all Utricularia have tiny bladders (hence the name "Bladderwort") attached to their roots. These bladders have a microscopic trigger hair which, when activated, opens the bladder which ejects any air that is inside, this then causes it to flood (creating a vaccume) and drag in any microscopic lifeforms in the soil -- or if an aquatic variety, in the water.
By moof
And here's an uprooted U.calycifida:

As Grey said, the traps are vacuum-type ones.

Peter
By GardenNub
yea thats the picture from the post i was referring to! Im gonna go youtube it right now. So how do you feed a plant like that?
By jht-union
Good question, how do you feed it then, this plants most be really strong then, because of the water being heavier, and the soil, they must have lots of energy in order to eat insects then.
i guess?
By moof
There's no need for that, but some fertilise them. Ocasionally they'll catch springtails, lots of them in my pots.

Peter
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!