FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By GardenNub
I cannot plant my VFT much deep enough because its leaves keep forcing it up out of the ground. I got as much of the rhizome(thats what its called right?) covered as possible, but over a couple hours time it seems to slowly move up. Any suggestions?

There also seems to be conflicting opinions on whether or not to cut the flower stalk of my drosera, because it is the middle of the winter. Any advice on the pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

One more random question...How long until I begin to see "dew" on it? I planted it in its own pot now, and it is getting a lot of light.
By BradR
GardenNub wrote:I cannot plant my VFT much deep enough because its leaves keep forcing it up out of the ground.

There also seems to be conflicting opinions on whether or not to cut the flower stalk of my drosera
One more random question...How long until I begin to see "dew" on it? I planted it in its own pot now, and it is getting a lot of light.
What I do is wash the old media off the roots, then poke a hole in the media about the size of the rhizome then place the plant in the hole and gently push it down to the proper level. You can then add some more media on top of the plant and use a squirt bottle to uncover the leaves with a stream of water.

Some sundews bloom profusely. It usually does not weaken the plant as much as a flytrap flower does.

Brad
BradR, BradR liked this
By JimsPlants
GardenNub wrote:I cannot plant my VFT much deep enough because its leaves keep forcing it up out of the ground. I got as much of the rhizome(thats what its called right?) covered as possible, but over a couple hours time it seems to slowly move up. Any suggestions?

There also seems to be conflicting opinions on whether or not to cut the flower stalk of my drosera, because it is the middle of the winter. Any advice on the pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Ahh the springy flytrap syndrome(not a technical term), they often curl their leaves around the rhizome when barerooted and will resist setlling. I usually end up using a bit of brute force poking it into its new home and squeezing the media tight around the rhizome, eventually you can get it stuck in, it will soon recover and hold its position as long as the main part of the rhizome is buried it will have no problems.

You can get the dew back in a day or two but can sometimes take a few weeks depending on the conditions.
JimsPlants liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!