FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By dantt99
I was looking at ordering silica online and must urge against it. The shipping costs are unreal!

But if you want, you can go on Amazon or eBay and look around :?.
dantt99 liked this
By HarrisAz
this is according to where i find here in Malaysia.

u can find silica sand at Aquarium shops(pet shops that sell fishes since its used for aqua scaping) or place where they sell water filter .

at Aquarium shops here,we can find black silica sand and not white silica sand(kind rare).but black silica sand requires a few washing till the water mix with it is no longer cloudy heavily.remember to wash it.
black silica sand looks black and shiny.

heres a picture of it

good luck!
h :)
HarrisAz liked this
By HarrisAz
if u see in real time,its shiny.
i have used it for typical vft and a few fellas here use it too and no harm happen so far :)
but u need to wash it ok?just for safe :)

Ha\
HarrisAz liked this
By Steve_D
The black sand may well be silica sand, although perhaps volcanic in origin and not in crystallized form as is much quartz silica sand. If the grains are translucent under intense backlighting (if one can see light shining through them even in a small amount) instead of opaque, then that black sand is probably fine to use in a carnivorous plant mix. The small amount of mineral oxides inside the glass-like grains that give it the color will not be soluble if the glass-like material itself is virtually inert and insoluble, which would be the case in black sand of volcanic origin.

Nice find! :)
Steve_D liked this
By 95slvrZ28
Quikrete is a very common brand that many places carry. They make various types of sand, that don't necessarily say their composition on the side of the bag, but they will state it in the product information on the Quikrete website. I would try going to your local hardware store (probably a big chain if you have one close) and asking if they have any Quikrete sand products. Take note of what they have, check Quikrete's website and the data sheets for their sands and see if any are listed as 99% silica in their composition section. I personally use Quikrete Commercial Grade Sand, and although it's not listed as "blasting sand" or "silica sand" it is 99+% silica.
95slvrZ28, 95slvrZ28 liked this
By Richardavion
"I"-'Remember' Many-Moons-ago We-'Use'-to-Have R-Product Called K140-Sand Put-OUT by "KEOUGH's" Sand-Depot &-Supplies Before-They Moved Interstate to-Victoria.

It-Was Brilliant &-Fantastic for-Growing Flytraps Being Basically R 140-MICRON 'Spike' ... Hence The-Name Keough's K140. "I"-Remember it-Use-to Have R Purpleling-Grey 'Look'-or-Appearance to-It in-The Low-Afternoon Summer-Sun.

We-NEVER-Did Get-to The-Bottom of-it &-"I"-Guess We-Never-Will ... for It's Now-UP to-the-Victorians to-Delve-INTO It's Feindish-Properties. >(*U^)<
By Oblivion
dantt99 wrote:I was looking at ordering silica online and must urge against it. The shipping costs are unreal!

But if you want, you can go on Amazon or eBay and look around :?.
i'd be more than happy to mail some to anyone who wants it.. but yeah, shipping is a bit pricey !

for example.. 5kg (~10lb) of sand to USA will set you back about 60 bucks for sea mail :o

ill buy you the sand free, if your keen to pay freight LMAO :lol:
http://auspost.com.au/index.html

Oblivion liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!