FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By GardenNub
As a few of you may know from my other recent topic, I have a terrarium set up with soil that I believe to be suitable for CPs, but has no nutrients so would not really work well with many other plants. I was wondering what CPs would do well in a small terrarium so I wouldnt have to scrap my whole thing. Otherwise I guess I will be trying to make a new one with more suitable soil and other plants. Let me know what you think. Thanks! :D
By stitz25b
no plant really love terrariums except lowland nepenthes and heliamphora as they need high humidity. but the also need huge amount of light, you might be able to add a sundew (d. adelae or capensis) if you one day choose to take them out they will lose there dew as they will only have sacrificial dew and it will take more time to acclimate them. so make it a nice tropical pitcher plant terrarium and send pics when your done
By jht-union
i have heard from others that nepenthes are good to keep in terrariums, problem with that, you will need a really BIG BIG terrarium as they grow really BIG, another plant i have heard of are pinguiculas, and i think terrestial utricularias, a nice aquarium could be use as well for aquatic utricularias!
By GardenNub
Any idea how large the parrot beaked pitcher plants get? I heard those stay small enough to keep in a small terrarium. I am curious because the one I have is pretty small. I would like some butterworts too. How would they do if i did like 2-3 pings in a small terrarium with some sort of moss cover? or would the moss take over.
By jht-union
GardenNub wrote:Any idea how large the parrot beaked pitcher plants get? I heard those stay small enough to keep in a small terrarium. I am curious because the one I have is pretty small. I would like some butterworts too. How would they do if i did like 2-3 pings in a small terrarium with some sort of moss cover? or would the moss take over.
the parrot beaked pitcher plant, that's a sarracenia, and they don't appreciate terrariums either, remember that sarracenias are native to north america, so they live maybe hours away from you hehe, they can take temps of 10F for a short/long period of time, or even temps below 20F for a long extended period of time, but of course we always want to be on the safe side and keeping them between 40-35F is better( since they are in pots the whole media could freeze below 32F), during summer you can place them outside to enjoy the new jersey sun!!! they appreciate lots of sunlight!, from what i understand the parrot beaked pitcher grows to the side like scarlet belle, so i don't think is a good idea, if you want some pinguiculas, here's a link of all the suppliers of carnivorous plants in the united states and other parts of the world, i reccomend as an option since FTS doesn't sell pinguiculas yet :(, buy pings from predatoryplants.com, i haven't bought pings from them, but i have bought 12 nepenthes, and the quality was excellent...etc, and here is the long list of suppliers, is really really helpful: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/the-l ... t8732.html , sometimes you might want to wait until spring/summer, some members if the have spare things they give seeds/cuttings/pullings for free, or at a really low price!!!, you can place 2-3 or more, depending on the size of the terrarium too, and how the ping grows as well, some grow small, some grow big, if you are talking about Live Moss, if the pings are really small then they might get loss in the moss, if you are talking about peat moss then no. let me know if i can help you more!!!!!
By jht-union
remember too to research on the kind of ping, not all pings live in the same way, and is important you have pings that get along well, you don't want to have a ping that needs a dormarcy of temps of 40F next to a ping that goes dormant with temps of 60 maybe higher but with a dormarcy of just drier conditions.

is really important that you know this!
By dantt99
Terrariums are only good for Tropical CPs because they can live in the same conditions year round, while Temperate plants need colder weather in winter for dormancy :)
dantt99 liked this
By Daniel_G
I reckon a highland or intermediate nepethes would do well in a terrarium,but you would need to up-size after a few years,at they get very big :)
You would be able to grow lowlands in it,but they take a lot of care,more than most are willing to give

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

Not what you would expect...

Why, the portion cup in front of the binata in the[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!