FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By RL7836
I currently have a pitchering N. maxima, Cephalotus, U. longifolia, U. praelonga & U. tricolor growing on a windowsill in the low winter humidity we have in the northeast US. No issues. As long as the plants are acclimated, many can handle the conditions...
RL7836 liked this
By jht-union
bananaman wrote:It looks like this:
IMG_3098,a.jpg

:)

I have my Nepenthes maxima there.

:D

Note: the nep is on a wooden pedastal now.
Holy, it looks great, congrats!! it looks really happy even with the low humidity as some of you say, how old is it?
By victor
All carnivorous plants can adapt to low humidity very well if you
give them time and patience.
victor liked this
By dantt99
I disagree.

Some Nepenthes, Sundews, and other plants can't adapt to low humidity, otherwise they won't do well. A little over 50% do well with lower humidity (39%) but the others don't do well unless they have higher levels of humidity (50% +).
dantt99 liked this
By Daniel_G
I'm with Dan,nepenthes need good humidity to grow well,no matter how much you try,some plants will never be able to grow well in low humidity
Daniel_G liked this
By victor
Well maybe I'm wrong but I saw of pictures of sarracenia, VFT, nepenthes, and tropical sundews growing in humidity levels of 20-30 percent. I could show you guys the link to the pictures if you want.
victor liked this
By stitz25b
very few plants need high humidity like heliamphora and lowland neps. all carnivorous plants (exept heli's and ll neps) dont ned humity. you could growthem in less than 10% humidity
stitz25b liked this
By Steve_D
Grey wrote:(about Heliamphora) -- They MUST have very high humidity or they give up.
This is what I've read numerous times from various sources, so I was worried about growing Heliamphora here in the dry grassland plains of eastern New Mexico, where our summer heat is high and year-round humidity low.

However, I decided to try to grow them in these conditions, and while they do seem (judging by others' success) to grow more lushly, bigger or faster in higher humidity, they have adapted here so far by growing slowly and conservatively, spending more of their energy to produce a good root system (I discovered when I repotted them) which better hydrate the leaves in the low humidity. So while they may appear relatively stunted or miniature, they are proving to be more hardy than I thought.

I even place the Helis outside (of the greenhouse) on many days now where they are exposed to more direct sunlight, even less humidity and often a dry breeze. They're still growing! :-) One of the Heliamphora minor plants is even putting up a flower stalk in these conditions. I'm very happy to see that they are able to adapt to some degree to what we would normally think of as adverse conditions for them, if one is careful to allow them to do so slowly and comfortably.
Steve_D, Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!