FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I just picked up one of those Glowpanel 45's after reading some of the reviews on this forum. My VFT's are all in hibernation right now, so I wont have a chance to use it for a while. I can't wait to try it out. My first impressions though are that it really seems to be well made. Nice sturdy construction and cleverly designed. Can't wait to try it out.
By goldslinger
I just sold a variety pot of 3 out from under my Glow Panel 45's. I have had them under them for a couple of months now (along with some other pots that have been under them for many months now and I can say You did not waste Your money. You will love it. You will also enjoy watering much less.

Gary
By Steve_D
My own assessment of the Sunshine Systems GlowPanels so far matches Gary's. They seem to work fine, perhaps even better than fine, and compare very favorably to the LED Grow-Master LGM540 Grow Bars, which also work well but are quite a lot more expensive per square foot of illuminated growing area.

I plan to post some updates and comparisons with photos between the two systems in use here at "FlytrapStore.com Nursery South" in New Mexico, in just a few weeks when I can better see the results of growth under the lights.

But I agree with Gary, I don't think you will regret the purchase of the GlowPanel 45. Nice LED grow light of which there are now 2 versions, an older version for sale cheaper at Amazon.com and elsewhere, and a new version, identically named, that is sturdier, has pass-through current to chain the LED arrays together (to avoid having so many individual plugs into a power strip) and a plastic top that overhangs the sides a little to prevent any dripping water or condensation from entering the GlowPanels from above. The newer model costs more (about $150.00 compared with $115.00 for the older model from other vendors) and is available directly from Sunshine-Systems.com--

GlowPanel 45 LED grow light at Sunshine-Systems.com
http://shop.sunshine-systems.com/produc ... oductId=10

Happy growing! :)
Steve_D liked this
By DTDream18
I constructed a nice attractive plant stand using some pine shelving that I bought real cheap at Walmart, and the Glowpanel 45. It holds two nice large pots along with several smaller pots for my VFT's. Here is a link showing the pine shelving ...

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... ckType=G72

And here are some photo's. I think I might build a second one. My wife even said how attractive it turned out. The Glowpanel was incredibly easy to mount under the top shelf of the pine shelving.

Can't wait to take my VFT's out of hibernation !
Attachments:
With the Glowpanel 45 turned on
With the Glowpanel 45 turned on
P1030189.JPG (33.2 KiB) Viewed 6879 times
Unlit
Unlit
P1030191.JPG (45.59 KiB) Viewed 6879 times
By goldslinger
Very nice !

I can't wait to see pics of Your collection after awhile under these lights!
By dantt99
Dream, that light looks very small for such an expensive price...... Does it cover way larger of an area?
By Daniel_G
I was wondering that too,i got one larger than that,for much less,and i'm very happy with it
By DTDream18
It gives off a tremendous amount of light, but maybe you can't tell from the photos. In my setup it will be hanging about 12 inches above the plants in the large pots and about 17 inches above the plants in the small pots. The instructions said to suspend the Glowpanel 12" - 24" above the plants. So if I suspended it higher it would have covered more area with light.

My thing was that I grew a lot of VFT's in a spare bedroom in a glass terrarium last year with flourescent lights. I got good results but the setup was kind of ugly and my wife was always complaining. Not to mention my electric bill was high. So the setup I constructed with the Glowpanel looks much better. It should save me money on my electric bill and hopefully my plants will look really good !
By Daniel_G
Ok,as long as your happy :)
Mine gives off lots of light,and covers a very large area (it lights up my entire room at night) And it only costed £20 :lol:
By dantt99
Maybe someday I'll give in and get one to see how they do with the plants. :)
By DTDream18
This Glowpanel lights up my entire bedroom at night too ! Even my neighbor teased me about that pink light in my bedroom every night. Beleive me this thing is plenty bright ...
By Daniel_G
xD My family always point ot my...."happy plant" farm,because you can see the light though the blinds :lol:
By DTDream18
After a few months of growing my VFT's under my Glowpanel 45 I'm here to give it a ringing endorsement. Here's a link to my Flytrap photo's that I posted on this forum.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/some- ... 10636.html

Those photo's were posted a few weeks ago. The Flytraps since then have started growing at a tremendous rate. A lot of divisions from
most of the plants. And the colors especially on the red plants is astounding.

If this system is within your budget you should definately go for it. You'll never regret it.
By Steve_D
DTDream18 wrote:After a few months of growing my VFT's under my Glowpanel 45 I'm here to give it a ringing endorsement.
Me too. The Sunshine Systems GlowPanel 45 model LED growlights actually do work, and the Venus Flytraps are happy under them. I bought 6 GlowPanel 45's, and the only problem I have is that three of the LED's, all in a row, sometimes blink on and off for a while and I have no idea why. At other times they stay on like all of the other hundreds of LEDs in all the GlowPanel 45's.

The GlowPanel 45's are so far producing results as good as the much more expensive LGM 540 LED-Grow-Master panels, so I'm happy.
By goldslinger
Steve_D wrote:three of the LED's, all in a row, sometimes blink on and off for a while and I have no idea why.
Cold solder joint somewhere. . .

Still lovin' Mine ! !

Gary

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!