FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
... seems to be the magic temperature that VFTs need to be kept under in order to have proper dormancy. I think Niels posted that recently.

So, does this mean that if the photo period is long like it would be in NC (or longer) but the temperatures during the day are not above 12, then you will have slow or no growth?

This could be a general question on the larger CP forums out there as it applies to more plants than just VFTs.

Please share your experiences!

I've decided to keep my VFTs indoors until the temperatures somewhat catch up to what NC is experiencing.
By NZL
The only thing i can say for sure is that photoperiod is waaaaay more important than temperature for the plant to enter dormancy, which is logical as well because it doesn't fluctuate like temperature
By Adam
What about once it's out of dormancy? How does the growth rate get affected by the temperature? What's the optimum temperature for VFTs to grow in the fastest?
By NZL
I can't say what the optimum temp is to grow a VFT, but it'll be related to humidity.
The higher the relative humidity is, the higher the optimum temp will be because there's a trade-off of ambient warmth and evaporation.
However, this doesn't mean that higher relative humidity is always better for a VFT, there will be an optimum for that as well probably, but i couldn't tell you what that would be either, sorry.
By Adam
Interesting. It would be good to know what the temperature range is as one varies the humidity between 0% and 100%. Would this be common to peranneal plants from the same zone and conditions?
By NZL
No, not all plants have the same evaporation rate [eg: broad leaf vs narrow leaf plants].
Also, so called C3 plants are more tolerant towards drought than plants that lack the C3 ability.
By Adam
Nice. I'll have to do more reasearch and experiments to see what the ideal temperature is for the different levels of humidity for VFTs is. So far, I know that my conditions were too cold as last month the growth rate was very slow.
By Adam
I've noticed that some other growers that posted on other forums also have had slow growth in the cooler spring time temperatures. Wilmington is at 26 degrees celcius today.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!