FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By David F
I got peat the other day (50 pounds) and silica sand (100 pounds for 8 dollars!) and perlite, I want my venus fly trap to be in optimal health, regardless of my curiousty towards how it would do in coir. Does the peat need soaking and straining. Does the silica sand need washing. Should I even transplant, it is my only one of two plants, so I would like for them to survive. I got another venus on sunday, my second, it is planted in peat, and its heads are pretty big. I predict it to be fairly old, does this mean I should put it in dormancy this winter/part of spring, thanks for any answers.
By dantt99
David F wrote:Does the peat need soaking and straining. Does the silica sand need washing. Should I even transplant, it is my only one of two plants, so I would like for them to survive.
The peat can be soaked, it will prevent moss and algae growth in the future :)

You can wash the silica, it will remove stuff in the sand that could harm the plant.

As I forgot your location (you should add it to your profile so people can help better answer questions :)), I forgot whether dormancy is happening now or not. If it is, you can transplant. If it is the active growing season, I wouldn't transplant it until dormancy or early spring :).
By David F
Its growing incredibly fast, since I transplanted, probably because the roots have room to move and grow and harden. Right now its about 2/3 over winter, but spring is pretty cold as well, but the actual plant is not in dormancy, I think the other one might be going dormant, a few heads are turning a light brownish color, but they are still hard.

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!