FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss carnivorous plant books here

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hello guys !

as a starter, I'll point out some obvious books which you just can't ignore if you are new or into carnivorous plants.

The first one is "Growing Carnivorous Plants" by Barry Rice. Still actual, it covers all genuses, going from the explanation of the mechanisms, cultivation and propagation.

The second one is entitled "The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato. I went through it and started to read and it is extremely complete, perhaps even more than the previous mentioned book. It ranges from the terrarium/equipment coverage, fertilizer, soil recipes and even tissue culture. It is also perhaps more directed towards the general public which makes it pretty simple yet incredibly informative.

For the french guys (I'm pretty sure there's none here), I had another book which I believe was not translated in english so if you are interested, let me know. It is decent but the two books above smoke it out of the water ;)

Happy reading !
sekler, sekler liked this
By dantt99
Thanks! I've heard lots about the Savage Garden and heard it was really good. I might have to get it on Amazon :). I'll look at the other one too!
By sekler
dantt99 wrote:Thanks! I've heard lots about the Savage Garden and heard it was really good. I might have to get it on Amazon :). I'll look at the other one too!
It's really amazing Daniel,

I got it there too and it was like 13$ (Canadian site) ! It's a brick with mostly colored pages, pictures and all. Definately a steal !
By Oblivion
ive got a thread called "CP book club", i started a list of good books ive found there.

go to bookdepository.com and you can get the savage garden for $20 new, and they do free freight on ALL books purchased.
By dantt99
I ordered it last night from Amazon for 16.49 and free shipping. It's supposed to get here on Tuesday :D.
By Jaws
Id like to mention the book written by a chap called Adrian Slack a few years back (he ran a nursery called Marston Exotics in the UK and has several cultivars named after him) called Carnivorous Plants,
it was this book that got me first interested in CPs.
By dantt99
Just to let you all know, I got The Savage Garden today from Amazon. I 've only thumbed thru it but it looks great already! Thanks for recommending it everyone! :D
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:Just to let you all know, I got The Savage Garden today from Amazon. I 've only thumbed thru it but it looks great already!
Congrats! It's an amazing book and everyone that enjoys growing carnivorous plants should read it.
Matt liked this
By dantt99
It's a great book! I read the Preface and the Intro and it is very well written and has great photography! I can't wait to read the rest of it after I finish the book I'm reading now. I want to read TSG cover to cover it should be great! :D
By Oblivion
"the complete guide to cp's" by barry rice was one of my favourites.

i liked the savage garden, but when you see barry's book its huge with stacks of full page colour photo's, complete species list for each variety (drosera list, dionaea list, nep list etc)
All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

SASE is winging its way to you as we speak. Thanks[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!