FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Vinceasaurus
I recently just got a VFT, I live in Nevada (which has little to no humidity). I was wondering if i could somehow grow a VFT outside rather than inside a terrarium. Also if a terrarium is needed, do a need some kind of fogger or something to make the VFT in a humad state, or will the water just keep the terrarium moist itself. Lastly, will a pseudo-light be good enough, without damaging the VFT's health?

Thanks
-Vince
By Adam
If you water your VFT enough, you do not need a terrarium. They adjust to low humidity levels.
By italo.americano
Hi Vince,

Welcome to flytrapcare!

You do not need a terrarium to provide humidity for your plant.Dionaea are able to adapt to the humidity level in their growing environment very easily without the use of a terrarium. Also with a terrarium you run the risk of cooking your plants in the summer months as well as fungus and infections due to reduced air movement.
Also, If you want healthy robust Flytraps, grow them in full sun. Give them as much direct sunlight as possible.
Dionaea look their best in 6-8 hours of direct sunlight during their growing season.
Four hours of direct sunlight is definitely the absolute minimum. Anything less than that will cause your plants to struggle for survival.

I hope this helps and welcome again!

Giovanni
By Matt
Vince,

Hello and welcome to flytrapcare!

Adam and Giovanni already gave you very good advice. I just wanted to drop in and say "Hello!". The only thing I'd want to add to what they said is that if you live in the hot desert of Nevada, you might want to protect your plant from direct sunlight during the hottest parts of the day, especially if there is a dry wind blowing. They might not be able to keep well hydrated in scenarios like that. But, in general, Venus fly traps do adjust very well to low humidity as Adam and Giovanni both previously said. If you have any more questions, be sure to ask!
By Aging_Bourbon
well i would listen to these guy's.. Flytraps' don't really need alot of humidity cause it cause's fungal problems an also mold

allen,

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!