FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Hello everyone, as usual I'm brimming with questions (sorry about that!) in an attempt to quench my ever-growing thirst for knowledge regarding CPs and giving them the best conditions.

I do not own a greenhouse and my plants are kept indoors however I do as best as I can to mimic the conditions in their natural habitat. I'd like to have a go at growing a couple of plants that require slightly higher humidity than what I currently provide and have learned that putting gravel in the plant's water tray will aid in increasing humidity.

Naturally, I'm curious about this, even more naturally I don't want to try this method out without hearing from some of the professionals. I'd like to know if this method works (I know some line the floor of their greenhouse with gravel to increase humidity) and what gravel would be safe to use (considering it will be in the water tray, I don't want minerals to leak into the water). I would love to try some of the more challenging carnivorous plants available in the future (when I have more experience) and I'm aware some of these plants require higher humidity. I'd also like to consider using this method for my nepenthes.

Thank you!
By Grey
We have plenty of gravel out in our back garden, however it isn't fresh stuff. Obviously I would wash it in distilled water, but the cats tend to use the area of our garden as a giant litter box (unpleasant), so if I washed it extra carefully do you reckon that it would be okay? xD
By Grey
Haha. Well I won't be planting the plant in it, it'll just be in the water tray underneath. I'll try the method with another plant alongside the one that requires higher humidity and see if there's any extra growth. Perhaps it'd be a good way for those (like me) who don't have a greenhouse nor a terrarium to increase humidity.

We'll see. Thanks Daniel =]
By Grey
I'll be creating a terrarium out of an old fish tank (only a small one) in the Spring when I actually get a larger one. My fry have almost outgrown it so I have to hurry heheh.

I'll let you two know if the humidity thing works. Or I'll try to let you know, considering I'm axing most of the species on my growlist so I don't know if I'll be able to do a fair experiment.
By Grey
Drosera, I got hit with a huge chunk of mould (which I'll be tackling tomorrow morning) through my own stupidity and I suppose have lost a little confidence with them. It's fine though, my pings and neps are doing well so I'll focus on them.

Oh yes, I'll be looking for and eventually upgrading my nep's hanging baskets to ones with dishes attached to the underside, which I will put gravel in. I'll update this post at a later date and tell you if it increases their trap production =].
By Daniel_G
As i've said before if it needs a home i'll take it :) if you want you can have a flytrap or 2 for it?
Of course that depends on if your getting rid of 'em
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!