FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Do you mean michaelhardwick.com or flytrapcare.com?

Is the former your own website? Very nice, interesting, with some great photos.
By nthng2gein
michaelhardwick.com is my website, im having trouble with worldofcarnivores, can anybody help me or send the website owner an email?
By Milhaus
Hi,
from what i know world of carnivores site is already down for a long time.I dont know why, but it was great site with good sterilization protocols.
By Matt
Milhaus wrote:from what i know world of carnivores site is already down for a long time.I dont know why, but it was great site with good sterilization protocols.
Right, it has been down for a while and it did have a lot of good information, though their sterilization protocols were a bit "strong" in my opinion, usually resulting in dead tissue.
By WoC
http://www.world-of-carnivores.net

All the info is there including the forum. The forum is not accepting new members but existing ones can still log in if they have their information or the same email address at account creation.
By BigBella
rellenburg wrote:Haha, almost EVERY posted sterilization protocol (here and there) leaves me with dead tissue. :D
Yeah, I have to agree. The draconian protocol for sterilizing Nepenthes, for example -- "Alcohol dip & swirl | 5 min 10% peroxide | 45 min 10% bleach | 15 min rinse | 4 hrs in 5% PPM" -- seed is far more likely to kill them than to simply sterilize them. I have never had to go to that extreme . . .
By rellenburg
I have not done anything yet with nepenthes, but I have killed my share of Dionaea explants. My first round I went a little too light (4 min in 10% bleach) resulting in about 95% contamination, so I followed the protocol posted on this site (3min hydrogen peroxide, 6min 10% bleach) the next time and it resulted in 100% dead tissue within 5 days. :lol: I love a good challenge. :D
By Matt
rellenburg wrote:so I followed the protocol posted on this site (3min hydrogen peroxide, 6min 10% bleach) the next time and it resulted in 100% dead tissue within 5 days.
Hmm...6 minutes in 10% bleach shouldn't kill a Dionaea explant unless it's very thin or very small. Try choosing better tissue. I've soaked some Dionaea explants for nearly 20 minutes in 10% bleach successfully, but I usually go between 5 and 8 minutes depending on the size and shape of the explant.
By rellenburg
I can't imagine finding any better tissue. Some were large newly grown B52 leaves and some were fairly small from a fuzzytooth, but all died the same. My complete process was lightly brush with a soft model car brush while running under water. Soak/shake in a baby food jar with 1 drop of original Dawn detergent for 2 min. Rinse in tea ball under running water for 2 min. 3 min hydrogen peroxide, 6 min 10%bleach, 2 dist. autoclaved water rinses. Trimmed off traps and small section of bottom of the leaves. Transfer to media???
By Matt
rellenburg wrote:I can't imagine finding any better tissue. Some were large newly grown B52 leaves and some were fairly small from a fuzzytooth, but all died the same.
When did you harvest them? This time of year it's nearly impossible to find good tissue.
rellenburg wrote:Soak/shake in a baby food jar with 1 drop of original Dawn detergent for 2 min.
That could potentially damage the tissue quite a lot. I've noticed that certain kinds of soap, including Dawn, are much harsher on the tissue.
rellenburg wrote:Rinse in tea ball under running water for 2 min. 3 min hydrogen peroxide, 6 min 10%bleach, 2 dist. autoclaved water rinses. Trimmed off traps and small section of bottom of the leaves. Transfer to media???
Nothing there would have killed the tissue unless you got a lot of phenolic bleeding and didn't move or replate the tissue.
By rellenburg
I harvested them around the first of December before I moved them to the cold building for the winter so that part was good. They were grown inside under lights prior to that.

It is very possible that the dawn was part of the problem.

What do you do and use specifically in your process?
By Matt
rellenburg wrote:They were grown inside under lights prior to that.
Growth under lights is usually thinner and more easily damaged by sterilization in my experience. I usually only harvest tissue from my greenhouses.
rellenburg wrote:What do you do and use specifically in your process?
I've spent many years honing my process by lots of trial and error. The process posted in the TC article is what I started with and is pretty much identical to what I still do today with just some slight modifications and additions of things I've learned over the last few years that I'm not willing to share openly. But the steps in that article should be good enough to have success.

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!