FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By moof
It depends on the species we are talking about. Different CPs like different bog types:) You'll have to check out where do the species you're interested in grow. Some CP's grow on trees, rocks, mosses, inside other plants, in water, or not in bogs at all:)

Peter
moof liked this
By PitcherPlanter
There are also different types of peat as well. Over where I am there are a lot of wetland. Most of it is peat from wild grasses. I have only seen bladderworts live in these types of wet land but they thrive. There is also the sphagnum bogs with the live sphagnum moss above the ancient lake underneath.
PitcherPlanter liked this
By PitcherPlanter
Yes, you are right.....

The other one is a Raised Bog. If i visit them again I takes some pictures to show you. There are Utricularia cornuta and Utricularia macrorhiza that make there home there. Almost all year round they flower... But I wont be able to get any pictures until spring :(
PitcherPlanter liked this
By Dionae
PitcherPlanter wrote:Yes, you are right.....

The other one is a Raised Bog. If i visit them again I takes some pictures to show you. There are Utricularia cornuta and Utricularia macrorhiza that make there home there. Almost all year round they flower... But I wont be able to get any pictures until spring :(
I grow CPs...i'm patient :P . Thanks for your input!
By RL7836
In the northern USA, the CPs tend to be in sphagnum bogs (not always true but not a horrible generalization). In the NJ Pine Barrens, they grow almost anywhere around water or where subsurface water is close to the surface (see elgecko trip reports on ICPS forum for many pics). In the south, a lot of Sarrs grow in water seeps and around lakes & streams.

As Moof noted, many CPs don't need a 'bog' at all. They tend to occupy niches where carnivory gives them a competitive advantage (usually in nutrient poor spaces).
RL7836 liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!