FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Ashnewto
Hi there..

an easy one for the experts, Am new to cp's but love them already.. got a selection from garden center but they couldnt be specific on types or individual care (it seemed).. infact most names on the pot's were the same even if it was a diff plant! (which if i remember right was just venus fly trap)

i wouldnt mind knowing the proper name so i can more specific care instructions from internet.. and if your willing if it needs to be dormant and if it can live outside all year round(i live in the north of uk)

I have made files small and numbered them for easy reply!

thanks a lot any info much appriciated

Ash
Attachments:
8 Venus fly trap.jpg
8 Venus fly trap.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
7 Sundew.jpg
7 Sundew.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
6 sundew.jpg
6 sundew.jpg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
5 Pitcher.jpg
5 Pitcher.jpg (32.19 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
4 pitcher.jpg
4 pitcher.jpg (35.27 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
3 pitcher.jpg
3 pitcher.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
2 monkey cup.jpg
2 monkey cup.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
1 Butterwort.jpg
1 Butterwort.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
By Idontkno23
1. Typical VFT
2. Drosera capensis
3. Drosera Aliciae
4. Sarracenia Rubra ssp. ?
5. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. ?
6. Sarracenia purpurea or a hybrid
7. Nepenthes Ventrata
8. Pinguicula moranenis
Last edited by Idontkno23 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Steve_D
The 6th photo from the top (numbered 3 because they are numbered in reverse order) looks to me like a Sarracenia purpurea hybrid, with perhaps S. rubra, flava, oreophila or alata as the other parent, or a mixture of them (more complex hybrid). But with the upright hood and arched back of the pitchers, it certainly seems to have the influence of S. purpurea in it.
By Ashnewto
thanks guys! prob basics but still quite proud of my collection already and got a few more ordered to come soon.

was still wondering if they need to be dormant and if it can live outside all year round(i live in the north of uk)

i have put top 6 in conservety to have dormant period, And they all all going black or brown.. exept the one numbered 3 (3 from bottom)

ty and great site!
By PitcherPlanter
-For the Butterwort, it is a Mexican Butterwort so go to http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/mexic ... t8161.html for information on dormancy and care.
-The Monkey Cups can be kept inside, normal temperature all year. They have no dormancy.
- For the rest will all need a cold dormancy starting around now to March. You could put them in the fridge for dormancy or a cool place that doesn't go to freezing or below (32°F or 0°C).
-The S. purpurea (the shorter and tubbier pitcher plant) could be planted outside.
PitcherPlanter liked this
By Idontkno23
stitz25b wrote:6 is sarracenia "cobra nest" :D
I'm going to have to disagree.

Cobras nest has more upright pitchers, and the hoods are shaped differently. It looks to be something similar though.
By PitcherPlanter
From CP Photo Finder
The ICPS Database states, S. x stevensii is synonym for S. x catesbaei (flava x purpurea). The name S. “Stevensii” is currently being used for a plant that is clearly not (flava x purpurea), rather what appears to be a (rubra gulfensis x leucophylla) cross.....
According to the ICPS, Sarracenia x stevensii and Sarracenia x catesbaei are the same. Sarracenia x stevensii is just a synonym for Sarracenia x catesbaei. Yet S. “Stevensii” is a cross of (rubra gulfensis x leucophylla [ http://cpphotofinder.com/sarracenia-stevensii-3274.html ] ).

My vote is on the Sarracenia x catesbaei (Sarracenia x stevensii)
Here is a picture of Sarracenia x catesbaei (Sarracenia x stevensii)
Here is a picture of Sarracenia x catesbaei (Sarracenia x stevensii)
collector_s_catesbaei.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
By Idontkno23
PitcherPlanter wrote:From CP Photo Finder
The ICPS Database states, S. x stevensii is synonym for S. x catesbaei (flava x purpurea). The name S. “Stevensii” is currently being used for a plant that is clearly not (flava x purpurea), rather what appears to be a (rubra gulfensis x leucophylla) cross.....
According to the ICPS, Sarracenia x stevensii and Sarracenia x catesbaei are the same. Sarracenia x stevensii is just a synonym for Sarracenia x catesbaei. Yet S. “Stevensii” is a cross of (rubra gulfensis x leucophylla [ http://cpphotofinder.com/sarracenia-stevensii-3274.html ] ).

My vote is on the Sarracenia x catesbaei (Sarracenia x stevensii)
collector_s_catesbaei.jpg
Ah yes! A good picture.

I vote for this as well. :p
By bananaman
hackerberry wrote:6 looks like a "Catesbaei".

hb
I totally agree with hackerberry excepet that it is Sarracenia x catesbaei a hybrid of S. purpurea and S. flava.

Other than that, I agree with idontknow

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!