FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Oblivion
ive got a few nelumbo (lotus) growing from seed, and i intend to get a big squat bowl and put the organic loam in the bottom for the lotus plants, and the top half will be always filled with water.

so with half a pot of standing water i thought maybe theres a utric i could throw in there to keep the bugs from breeding on the water?

i'd love to put my lotus in a water feature but i doubt i'll be able to do it.
By Daniel_G
aldrovanda might be an idea for it aswell :D as for aquatic utric here you go,U. gibba,U. purpurea,U. macrorhiza,U. intermedia,U. bremii,U. dimorphanta,U. aurea and last but not least U. vulgaris

is that enough for you?
By Oblivion
thanks dan,

i actually had such a slow day at work i spent the entire day reading my "complete growers guide to CP's" (see book club thread in chat) and come across aldrovanda so i get on the net to see if triffid park.com.au or anyone else has em and you know what..
none of the big cp nursery's sell em?
first place i find, some guy in the czech republic selling aussie cp? what the ? lol

i also come across a urtic inflata which is apparently a pest in new york and a few places where fools have released it in waterways and its taken over.
By limeslide
You should try sub-affixed species that stay small but still eat insects! U. gibba is a good candidate since it stays small but grows semi-large bladders. It's a subaffixed species so it will root in the loam, and if it roots enough it will flower lovely shades of yellow for you. :)
Most of the species squirtoman posted grow too large for a bowl and instead need pools of water to flourish, not to mention some of them (like U. purpurea) need super specialized pH values and die the instant something changes. U. gibba grows in most environs and doesn't fuss much.
Aldrovanda are okay plants for an established aquarium, with correct pH values and a good microbial population (beneficial bacteria, that is). They would also like CO2 in the tank.
Beware, if you are going to get Aldrovanda and you are trying to get up to the correct pH, I warn you don't add too much peat or you'll get an algae bloom and you'll end up with dead plants. :P
I do not know if the acidic water would affect the lotus, but I wouldn't try.
So, I say U. gibba all the way!
limeslide liked this
By Oblivion
thanks for your help LS.

im thinking about building a pond, probably a little bigger than your average bath tub (knee deep and a bit wider, similar length)

id like to try some aldrovanda, but im not sure if theyre any good with goldfish.

i was hoping the fish would give off the Co2 needed for the plant, or at least survive in similar conditions. and chuck in a utric' gibba for good measure.

another option im now considering since ive got an interest in aldrovanda, is get a small fish tank and try them in that.
By limeslide
Oblivion wrote:id like to try some aldrovanda, but im not sure if theyre any good with goldfish.
Goldfish with Aldrovanda? That's very expensive food right there. :P
By linton
Glenn, I have some U. gibba for you so don't go buying any!!!
linton liked this
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!