FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Amber
I am kind of new to this venus flytrap dormancy deal. I have owned one before but I think it "died" on me. I want to be sure to get this right, so when is the best time to put mine into dormancy? I live in north Georgia and it is November so again, when should I put it through dormancy?

Thanks,
Amber
By Matt
Hello Amber and welcome to FlytrapCare!

You don't really "put a VFT into dormancy". As Omar said, it's best to just leave your plant outside and let it go dormant naturally. When the days grow short, the temperature drops and leaves start falling off trees, that's when Venus flytraps start dying back too. It's a natural process and not something that you have to actively make your plant do.

Depending on where you are in northern Georgia, you might be able to leave your plant outside year round. If it freezes too hard where you live, you'll have to find a place to put it during dormancy. An unheated porch or a window in a garage or basement are good options.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!
By ModeratelyExcessive
Amber wrote:Thanks, I guess I will just leave it outside then...I just hope it will come back around...
Just want to add that you shouldn't leave it completely alone during dormancy. It still needs water, though not as often as in the growing season. Check the soil every few days and keep it moist.
By adamjoetan
Hi!!

I just bought my venus flytrap! Question is dormancy!!! I live in Singapore, so we do not have any winter here. However, in the months of DEC - FEB, it is the wet season and it is not so hot then. Could I just leave it by the window where it doesn't get affected by the rain but feels the change in temperature?

Also, could I chose its dormancy period, like from march - may. For example, I put it under a light for the other months then from march - may, I place them into a cooler room with weak lights.
By BradR
I have read that in the tropics Flytraps can be put into "Dry Dormancy" to take the place of the cold moist dormancy it usually needs. It involves allowing the plant to gradually dry out then keep in a place with reduced light for 4-6 weeks. The soil should be barely moist. After that give it lots of water and sun. In the wild in North Carolina flytraps sometimes experience this dry spell in the fall and the rhizome goes dormant before the cold starts.
The link below describes "Dry Dormancy".

Good luck.

http://www.greenculturesg.com/articles/ ... rmancy.htm
BradR liked this
By Ouinch
Hi guys,

I was wondering how bad it would be to skip one year of dormancy, i know they don't do great with no dormancy but i'm growing mine indoors and she is flowering at the moment..
By MrsMuscipula
It may live for another year or two, but its health and vigor will definitely decline, especially combined with flowering too. If the flower hasn't opened yet, I would cut the flower stalk and put the plant outside for dormancy as soon as possible.

If the flower has already opened, you might as well let it keep going until next dormancy season. Flowering and then dormancy right after could potentially kill it.

Also for future reference, we could help you much better if you started your own new threads instead of bumping up old ones. :)
MrsMuscipula liked this
By Goodkoalie
Ouinch wrote:Hi guys,

I was wondering how bad it would be to skip one year of dormancy, i know they don't do great with no dormancy but i'm growing mine indoors and she is flowering at the moment..
I would cut it and put it into dormancy. Even if the flower has already opened, cut it then put it outside. It would not be good for the plant to flower and go dormant, but I have had some plants do it last year and they are fine this year. Flowering and then skipping dormancy would also be bad because both factors add stress to the plant, which could cause the plant to die.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!