FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By vft mrComp
hello I am a beginer vft grower and was wondering if anyone could send me a free terrainiam for one vft. :)
By TheRavensLetters
They sell 10 gallon terrariums at walmart for about $10 in the pet section. That price is almost certainly less than what shipping one would cost. You can also check your local craigslist.

However if your climate permits, it's generally a lot easier to keep venus flytraps outside. They are temperate not tropical plants, and they need a dormancy in order to remain healthy. This means they can't be kept in a stable terrarium permanently.
TheRavensLetters liked this
By Veronis
If your winters never or rarely drop below 32 F, you can keep them outdoors year round easily.

As RavensLetters said, keeping them in a terrarium long-term is not a good idea. They need a winter dormancy to survive, since they are temperate plants that are native to North Carolina.

Depending on where you live geographically, and what kind of house or apartment you live in, there are various methods you can use to allow them to get just cold enough to go dormant if you do have to grow indoors.
Veronis liked this
By vft mrComp
the part of california were I live the winters are about 28 F and the sumers are about 90-105 F so would a terraniam be a good idea? 8-)
Last edited by vft mrComp on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Matt
vft mrComp wrote:the part of california were I live the winters are about 28 F and the sumers are about 90-105 F so I a terraniam would be a good idea
A flytrap can do quite well in that temperature range with a little care to protect it from the coldest and the hottest temperatures. A terrarium wouldn't be necessary and would almost certainly cause more problems than it would solve.
By Steve_D
vft mrComp wrote:the sumers are about 90-105 F so a terraniam would be a good idea
If the summers are that hot a terrarium would be a bad idea since it concentrates the heat even if not covered and allows the sunlight to enter the growing medium and root zone.

In general, a terrarium requires more expert attention and care and has a greater potential to create damaging stress of various kinds for the plants. Venus Flytraps tend to grow better outside of terrariums, all other factors identical. :)
Steve_D liked this
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!