FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SalSundew97
Does a sub-tropical sundew need a dormancy period. I just got it on Tuesday from here and it has a little bit of dead leaves. I don't know what to do. :roll:
By Steve_D
Peter D'Amato, in his book The Savage Garden, has this to say about "subtropical" rosetted sundews:
With a very few exceptions, this class of Drosera grows throughout the year without any dormancy requirements. While most grow in frost-free climates, many are tolerant of brief freezes into the twenties. The rosettes will die during these light frosts, but usually new plants come up from the thick, pretected roots. For best results, grow them in frost-free environments.
Don't worry about the dead leaves on the Spatulata. They may simply be old leaves (you can carefully cut them off if you want to) or leaves that are being sacrificed by the plant due to shock of transplanting or growing environment, which is a common occurrence.
Good luck and best wishes. :)
Steve_D liked this
By corky
i imagine if you were in the uk and using natural sunlight your plant will of almost stopped growing because days are so short,i think if this is the case less water is required in colder shorter days and growth should resume as days get longer and temps increase,just checked your profile and you live in florida,a picture would be helpfull
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!