FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By EverDave
So, here goes...

I got this idea from a video I seen online. I want a way to keep the greenhouse warm during the colder
months and it seems that this might work. The principle is the same as a car. The car warms up from the sun
coming in through the windows. I have painted the entire inside black to absorb the most heat possible.

The base is lined with Pennies, which is suppose (according to the video) to absorb heat the best.
The pennies were attached with spray adhesive.
This along with the black surface should conduct quite a bit of heat.

I then covered it with a thin plastic film (The video used plexiglass which I don't have) to trap the heat
inside. Of course it is inside a plastic greenhouse too so double wammy I am hoping.

Also, cut into each side are these slots to help with air flow.

Feel free to ask any questions or comment or make reccommendations.
By EverDave
Well, today the outside temp is 65 degrees in Indiana and it is currently 91 degrees in the greenhouse. It might just be working. Hope so :)
By EverDave

This is a good sign. I presume that it is helping these temps. Only 75 here today.
By kaepora gaebora
squirtoman wrote:if its cold where do they absorb the heat from?lol
There is no such thing as "cold". Only less heat or the absence of heat. Which means it will conduct heat on days that are cold just not as much heat as when its warmer.
By matadorjr
I have one like this, only a lot smaller, using pennies and foam board. But what i did yesturady kinda worked. My thermometer marked 35* F, inside my 4 tier greenhouse, with the curtain closed. So I read a post on a website that if you place a pan with hot water, it will slowly cool off but it will also release its warmed temp into the greenhouse. So i quickly tried it.

As soon as I place it on a shelf, in 10 mins, it went from 35F to 56F. I work night shift so I went to bed around 630am so I didn't get to see how long and up to what high temperature it reached, but at least I saw that the cold temperature went away for a while, saving my plants from a bad night. But during the day it reached 80*F when outside was 43*F. Try it.
By EverDave
Yeah that does work. I have tried it as well. Greart idea for a cold night.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!