FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sweetviolets13
Oh no! I checked on my sleeping fly trap today only to find a white fluffy mold growing on top of my nutritionless soil! How?! Why?! My flytrap is successfully asleep for the winter and thus is extra defenseless. What should I do? Should I repot it? Should I just remove the mold? Do I even need to worry about it? It appears to just be a mold, no fungus, and it was only on top of the soil in the corner of the pot.
By Daniel_G
sweetviolets13 wrote: It appears to just be a mold, no fungus,
ummm... i think mold is a type of fungus :lol: hmm i would remove the fungus, just scrape it off the soil. or if you want to you could apply some funguside, i think that works on soil aswell? all in all i dont think you will have to repot it :D
By Darkrai283
squirtoman wrote:ummm... i think mold is a type of fungus hmm i would remove the fungus, just scrape it off the soil. or if you want to you could apply some funguside, i think that works on soil aswell? all in all i dont think you will have to repot it
And to make sure the mold doesn't grow back again, keep the soil only moist and NOT WET! And if its dormant, water your vft a bit more less as it won't take in most of the water as its not actively growing like in the summer!
By Matt
As others have said, you should remove the mold. Keeping it less wet will also help prevent it returning. I'd recommend better air movement and more direct sunlight, if possible, to help prevent the mold from returning. You could also treat the soil with a fungicide.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!