FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Darkrai283
I have a red and blue LED grow light from Japan and can I use it for my vfts? Is the light strong enough? will they get good colouration? e.t.c
And also, I have a plain coloured LED light thing with 72 LED light bulbs in it and can that be used as well to grow them really well, get good colouration?
By Jaws
What a coincidence your thread is ....

It will be down to the wattage of the LEDs as to the impact on the plants growth.

http://www.growlightsled.co.uk/90w-ufo- ... 6f9127a150

Ive ordered the above a few days back and and its in the post, being delivered tomorrow, i want something that gives extra light but isnt right on top of the plant (as in my fluorescent lights), im going to try it about 3 foot above the plants (i have a large SW window they are by too)

Ive read up on them and we shall see how the writeups work out in practice. (the 90w is supposed to be equivelent to 400w HPS light)
By 95slvrZ28
You're not going to be able to discern the power of each LED individually. The power can be almost anything, since the size of the plastic case around the PN junction in the LED has no relevance to it's power output (and just to clarify, and LED is not a "bulb" ;) ). Look at the fixture to see if it has any markings for power output. You may want to see if it has an "incandescent equivalent" power output labeled on it since LED's are much more efficient than regular light bulbs that we relate power output too.

To answer your question about whether or not it will work: you don't really know until you try it. One of the memebers/moderators here (Hackerberry) uses LED's almost exclusively for his artificial lighting. I know he used to use the red/blue combo with good success. Last I read he has moved to an array of white LED's, but I haven't seen him report any results or differences in growth or plant behavior.
By DTDream18
I've been thinking of switching to a LED lighting system too. Does anyone know if the Red / Blue combo or the white light LED's are better for growing Venus Flytraps ?
By 95slvrZ28
I can't say which will work better, but the red/blue will certainly be cheaper.
By sbob87
Hello all. I bought some 22w LED panels 225 leds each one blue white and one blue red. When I first moved them indoors they are now receiving more light than the sun believe it or not. They actually started to burn and have now adjusted and.are very colorful even the veins running up the middle leaves are red with green leaves. Now i like the color of the blue white as under the blue red affects your vision and everything (plants sphagnum moss etc...) appears red. However i have noticed the blue white arent as forgiving. slower growth and burn the plants more. Today I switched to two red blues. I'm curious to see if the plants under the blue white start to do better.
By Cdosre2
sbob87 wrote:Hello all. I bought some 22w LED panels 225 leds each one blue white and one blue red. When I first moved them indoors they are now receiving more light than the sun believe it or not. They actually started to burn and have now adjusted and.are very colorful even the veins running up the middle leaves are red with green leaves. Now i like the color of the blue white as under the blue red affects your vision and everything (plants sphagnum moss etc...) appears red. However i have noticed the blue white arent as forgiving. slower growth and burn the plants more. Today I switched to two red blues. I'm curious to see if the plants under the blue white start to do better.
What was the height of your grow light from your VFT? I bought the exact same LED lights
By mcgrumpers
most recent threads are 5 months and then 9 years old haha. consider starting a new topic? if you include more detail on what light you got (preferably link to specs) you can get advice on what height to use.
By omnipercp15
I think while the idea of wattage is still relevant, the more important stats for a grow light for a small group of carnivorous plants are lumens and Kelvin.

More lumens means the light can be further away from the plant, but at the same time, a low lumens light just means you have to put it closer to the plant, so it means you don't have to get just a very high lumens light. 2000 or higher is often sufficient for a typical range of about 6-18" away from the plant, depending on which plants.

A grow light's Kelvin's light temperature range will include red and blue but if you get the Kelvin range that is the daylight range, 5000-6500 K, then it would be sufficient also.

Keep in mind that some people talk about wattage and red/blue color range because they may be growing large amounts of plants or want vegetative growth, such as in a hydroponics setup for food or other ... umm.. entertainment purposes. Many beginning carnivorous plant lovers may not even be in the category yet to buy these very expensive grow lights, but can instead, buy cheaper lights that fit the bill.

For example, there are some T5 or T8 LED / Flourescent light bulbs that are not termed as grow lights, but because of meeting the minimum lumens and Kelvin measurements, would work just fine for your indoor plants.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!