FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By styx
Hi so i just got my Venus flytrap-ordered from the site. It is young came potted- am i supposed to re-pot it or leave it in the pot it came in? What about the cup on top should i leave that so its humid-i haven't done much with it since i got it-just got distilled water. this plant is staying in my room-will it live that way? I'm concerned it wont get enough sunlight. I know its a lot of questions-any help would be appreciated-we have a greenhouse here (Umass) with Venus flytraps and many other plants so i will probably be asking the people who care for that for help too.
By just5398
I can only answer one question for sure, remove the cup on top. =) As far as light goes, it needs a lot of light so if your window gets a lot of sun people have grown them that wasy until they can be put outside. What direction is your window facing?
Someone else will come along and answer your other questions.
just5398 liked this
By dantt99
styx wrote: am i supposed to re-pot it or leave it in the pot it came in?
If you ordered it from Matt and Steve the pot and media it's in should be fine, don't repot it :D
styx wrote:What about the cup on top should i leave that so its humid
Do NOT leave the top on, I just was looking at a different post and someone's trap died because the trap had been covered for a year, then exposed to the air and dried out.
styx wrote:my window is facing northwest-the other window in the room faces west-thank you for your help
The west window is better, you should put it there if possible.
dantt99, dantt99 liked this
By styx
hi again and thanks everyone for being so helpful! so i heard that your suppose to remove the fly carcass from the trap is that true? Also, should i be putting the plant in a tray of distilled water or not since the plant is in dormancy or will be soon? Should i remove the damp "napkins" that are on top of the soil-probably just for shipping? sorry about all the questions-thanks everyone!
By Daniel_G
those napkins can probably go now,you should still water your vft, just not as much water as usual about the carcasses ummm i leave the carcasses in my plant cos most of the time their near trigger hairs and i dont want to set off the trap for no good reason, i hope ive helped :D
Daniel_G liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!