FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By delusions
Hi,

I looked at my plant today to see all the traps had closed (even the smaller ones. there is 10 traps) and the whole plant itself has gone a darker green, which seems a bit abnormal to me.
two of the bigger traps went black about 2 weeks ago so I cut them off, was i wrong to do that as it may have been going dormant?
Another thing is 7 of the traps droop down whilst 3 (conincidentally the largest) stand up diagnolly.

Is my VFT okay?

(I can upload photos if needed)

Thanks in advance,

(Also, I live in England and it's hitting winter soon, if that affects anything)
By Steve_D
Your plant sounds fine, from your description. The more upright leaves are probably summer leaves, and the shorter ones next to the growing-medium surface, with smaller traps, are just cool-weather leaves hugging the ground for warmth, typical of Venus Flytraps in Fall, throughout dormancy, and early Spring.

When leaves turn black (usually older leaves at the end of their lifespan) just cut off the black parts. But leave the green parts to continue to provide food for the plant by photosynthesizing from the light they receive.

"Darker green" is very probably not a bad sign at all, so don't worry about that.

Photos would help. Good luck. :)
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!