FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By matadorjr
This is my first time in this forum of greenhouse, and I searched for a topic of using a 2 liter soda bottle as a greenhouse. I didn't find any but has anyone ever tried it? I think a small plant can easily fit as the cold weather approaches and provide them warm temperature and light.

Update : so I emptied a 2 LT bottle, cut the bottom part and place my digital thermometer inside to see if the temperature rises. Outside was 65*F and sunny, inside the bottle with no holes rose to 94*F within 15mins!. So after I used the bottle neck as an opening so it can get oxygen and regulate the temperature, it was in the mid to high 80's . So I guess I will place them outside and test to see if they like the warm weather in their new bottle greenhouse.
Attachments:
BOTTLE.jpg
BOTTLE.jpg (363.24 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Last edited by matadorjr on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
By jht-union
hey natadorjr, it sounds like a pretty good idea for a small plant, i haven't tried, but i'm in the process of trying to build one for this winter, to protect them from freezing, i think if you are using the 2-liter bottle greenhouse for a small plant go ahead and do it!!!

are you thinking about taking the plant out when summer arrives, or you want to leave it permanently??

Good luck!!!=)
By matadorjr
I'm thinking of doing it asap. I'll test to see what temperature I can get inside Tue bottle just to see if its worth it. If goes well I'll leave it outside but I will bring it when I gets extremely cold. I'll keep you updated on a new topic
matadorjr liked this
By moof
I keep U.longolia in a "tank" like that:) I'll post some pics later in the winter.

Peter

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!