FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By dmagnan
OK, so maybe it was a mistake, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm going to do a lot of reading to try to make sure all the conditions are met, from what I've read so far I think I can cover everything. I bought a "starter kit"--here's the description from the Meadowview biological research station where I bought it:

Beginners Aldrovanda package - includes Meadowview pond sediment, associate plants, and bag of Aldrovanda plants (a minimum of 3 plants included in beginners pack) $25.00

The pond sediment is meant to carry an ecosystem I think, including microfauna prey, although me living basically on a swamp I'm sure these guys will be feasting on mosquito larvae either way. I asked, the associated plants "include burr reed (Sparganium), rush (Juncus), arrow arum (Peltandra virginica), and/or some tag along bladderworts like U. inflata or U. purpurea."

I won't list all the other little details about cultivation I've been reading up on in this post.

So does anybody else grow these guys? any tips? secret recipes?
Last edited by dmagnan on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By limeslide
Awesome! Good luck with these dudes, Aldrovanda aren't your regular VFT or anything like that.
By dmagnan
They FINALLY mailed them yesterday, a week and a half later. Patience is a virtue which I do not have.
By dmagnan
Well, the package arrived yesterday evening, and I have mixed feelings about it. First of all I can not complain about the number of plants that I got- the package advertised at least three aldrovanda, and I got 6 or 7. I also got many more associate plants than I expected. I am a little concerned as to their health though as the associated plants were all just stuffed into a bag with mud and roots and it looked and felt like everything was starting to rot. The aldrovanda were shipped dry in a baggie, which I think is not good because from all I've read they don't handle shipping well. Most of the stems are quite brown, although the growing tips are still green, which is encouraging. It'll be a little while I guess before I know if they survive the shock. fingers crossed.

I'll put up more pics of the completed setup in a week or two, hopefully when I have some new growth
Attachments:
packages.jpg
packages.jpg (379.93 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
bog.jpg
bog.jpg (569.14 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
associated-plants.jpg
associated-plants.jpg (839.88 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
aldrovanda.jpg
aldrovanda.jpg (427.47 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
By linton
Looks OK Dave. I don't currently grow these plants, but from what I've read I understand that they grow best amongst a community of other "associated" plants and do not appreciate direct sunlight. If the growing points of the Aldrovanda are still green then they should recover quite quickly in their new home - the plants can die right back to turions in Winter...which is barely anything.
Keep us posted on how they settle in.
By dmagnan
They've started growing again, so I figured I'd post some pics. A couple have even started dividing. The associate plants are still in sorry shape, but at least one of the grasses has started putting up new shoots. I should really sift off all the floating peat that never sank.
Attachments:
aldrovanda-3.jpg
aldrovanda-3.jpg (152.72 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
aldrovanda-2.jpg
aldrovanda-2.jpg (354.7 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
aldrovanda-1.jpg
aldrovanda-1.jpg (455.34 KiB) Viewed 4528 times

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!