FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jaws
Apologises for image quality, i have el cheapo cam.
I am almost certain this is a Purpurea (centre), which im right in saying doesnt need dormancy ?

And these 2 id say (even though leaves are taller) is also a Purpurea ?
But i have no idea what the one on the right is.

I bought them all in a small pot called "Mixed Pitchers" lol a few months ago and they have really grown , indoors too, but i didnt realise some Sarr. dont need dormancy, so im looking to transplant
them out of the VFTs, when i put the VFTs into a much colder area.

Any comments gratefully received.
Last edited by Jaws on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Matt
Jaws wrote:I am almost certain this is a Purpurea (centre), which im right in saying doesnt need dormancy ?
It definitely appears to be a S. purpurea or a purpurea hybrid. And ALL Sarracenia need a dormancy period.
Jaws wrote:And these 2 id say (even though leaves are taller) is also a Purpurea ?
Yes, it also appears to be some sort of purpurea hybrid. The on on the right looks like some sort of S. flava hybrid.
Matt liked this
By Jaws
Matt wrote:
Jaws wrote:I am almost certain this is a Purpurea (centre), which im right in saying doesnt need dormancy ?
It definitely appears to be a S. purpurea or a purpurea hybrid. And ALL Sarracenia need a dormancy period.
Jaws wrote:And these 2 id say (even though leaves are taller) is also a Purpurea ?
Yes, it also appears to be some sort of purpurea hybrid. The on on the right looks like some sort of S. flava hybrid.
Thanks for that Matt , id read somewhere on the 'net Purpurea didnt, ill take your advice and just leave em to go dormant with the VFTs then.
By Matt
Jaws wrote:id read somewhere on the ,net Purpurea didnt, ill take your advice and just leave em to go dormant with the VFTs then,
All pitcher plants native to North America (Sarracenia and Darlingtonia) need a dormancy period in the winter. The only pitcher plant species that don't need a dormancy are Nepenthes. Also, Cephalotus can do OK without a dormancy.
Matt liked this
By Idontkno23
The second picture looks like either a S. Flava or a S. Flava hybrid, it needs more light!

I'm not sure whether or not the 1st one is S. Purpurea, could look funky from lack of light.

Is there a way to get them into a sunnier place? They aren't going to really appreciate it when spring time comes back around and they are in the same environment as they were now.
By Jaws
Im investing in an LED light to hover over them and boost the light , fluorescent fittings im finding get in the way too much.
The window is a massive SW facing one and im in a (supposedly) great area of England for sun (Cornwall).

They did go through a couple of transplants in May that may have bothered them a bit.

Ive said elsewhere but i dont think England indoors is that great for VFT/Sarr. (not tried a full south window, havent got one)
Anyone grown full colouration in England indoors out there (without supplementary light) ?
By sekler
Damn, it looks like you have a CP forest in your house !

amazing set of plants :)
sekler liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!