FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By eou812
Anyone know how to grow Gemmea from the Drosera Roseana and does anyone know how to grow a Drosera Indica, Drosera Burnmmii from seed does anyone know any info on how to grow them when they have sprouted or when growing from seed any info at just please help because i am fixing to recive all of those in about one or two days so plaease any info will be helpful i have no idea of how to grow them please HELP THANKS!!!!!!
By Veronis
Burmannii: http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/burmannii.html (scroll down for "propagation techniques" for growing from seed) - if kept in tropical conditions like a terrarium or idoor grow rack, burmannii can lives for years (and flower multiple times) even though they're annuals in nature that die after setting seed. Burmannii are my favorite sundew.

Indica: Germinate indica seeds the same way as burmannii, but sow on soil with much more sand, like 70/30 sand/peat for example. Indica also prefer drier than wetter soil (not unlike flytraps). They won't do well long-term if kept too wet. They will germinate fine with wet soil and the seedlings will grow fine in mid-to-wet/damp soil, but as they grow up, soil needs to be kept "just damp". Also, they're not like burmannii where they can keep on growing after flowering as long as conditions remain tropical - indica are strict annuals, which means that if you don't collect seed when they flower, you'll lose all your indica because they all die after setting seed. Here's a little specific info from ICPS: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedba ... indica.htm

With both burmannii and indica, it's important to feed them even as seedlings so they grow up fast enough. If you never feed indica, for example, you may have trouble getting seed before they die. While they're so tiny, I sprinkled crushed freeze-dried bloodworms over them (it's almost like a dust). You can get freeze-dried bloodworms at any major pet store; I think it's in the fish food section. They come whole, but you just twist them in your fingers into a dust, then sprinkle that dust all over your seedlings. Some will get more food than others, but indica get so big (somewhere around 24 inches tall I think?) that you'll only want a few or so of them by the end of the year anyway. I started with about 30 of them, and as they grew, I plucked out and tossed the weaklings that weren't growing as fast. Burmannii only get a couple cm in diameter (about the size of a US quarter or so), but I had a lot of them as well and plucked/tossed the weaklings as well as they grew.

Gemmae/roseana: I don't know much about drosera gemmae, but this site seems to have quite a bit on general care as well as seed germination guide all on one page: http://www.droseragemmae.com/CareGuide.html (be patient with the link; may take a minute to load).
Veronis liked this
By eou812
Wow thanks that helped a lot maybe they will grow great thanks.
By eou812
and And also could i grow any of those from seed on 50/50 perlite peat moss mix or 80/20 peat moss perlite (80/) dead spagnum peat moss (/20) ?
By Veronis
50/50 peat/perlite is a good mix for burmannii and gemmae sundew, but the indica need a sandier mix. I've never heard success stories using 50/50 peat/perlite with indica; if you don't have access to sand, you can try something like a 40/60 peat/perlite mix, but I can't guarantee success with it.

dead sphagnum can be used in place of peat moss in any of those mixes (e.g. 50/50 dead sphagnum/perlite).

Try to find silica sand for the indica.
By eou812
can i use 50/50 dead sphagnam moss ,perlite for the indica because i don't have any silica sand. or any other mixture for the indica that could include peat moss perlite or dead peat sphagnum moss thanks.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!