FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By savagegardener
I would appreciate it if anyone could spare a couple of vft leaf pullings? (I live in NY) I would be willing to pay shipping!I was trying to grow some from seed but it didnt go so well. i was going to get an adult plant, but i want it to start off small so i can watch it grow. please and thank you for the help!

Lucy :mrgreen:
By savagegardener
Well I dunno we will see. No ones answered my thread yet.
But you never know...
By savagegardener
yeah its only been three days I guess.
Im inpatient. lol.
By NZL
Hi savagegardener,

How about buying a mature plant and just strip all the leaves into leaf pullings? ;)
By Steve_D
NZL wrote:How about buying a mature plant and just strip all the leaves into leaf pullings? ;)
Right. :) I have a friend who does that (pulls an entire plant apart into individual leaves) to propagate. Although it may seem "cruel," it's OK. Venus Flytraps are really primitive plants in a way. It's almost as though each leaf is a separate plant, because each leaf can grow a root (or more) and can sustain itself, so a Venus Flytrap can be regarded as though it were a colony of individual plant-leaves. The cells at the buried base of the leaves seems to be permanently in "stem cell mode," meaning that the cells can develop into any of a number of structures including a new leaf, or a root, a new growing crown, etc. Very interesting-- :ugeek:

Steve
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:Right. :) I have a friend who does that (pulls an entire plant apart into individual leaves) to propagate[...]The cells at the buried base of the leaves seems to be permanently in "stem cell mode," meaning that the cells can develop into any of a number of structures including a new leaf, or a root, a new growing crown, etc. Very interesting-- :ugeek:
I've done that once. I was watching these two sickly VFTs sit on the shelf all winter in Home Depot. Finally in March I bought them and shredded them. I took each leaf and pulled it all the way down to the rhizome and off the plant. From those 2 VFTs I must have 40 or 50 now!

It's amazing how some parts or some plants are perpetually in that "stem cell mode"...very interesting indeed!
By Nickrober
Matt wrote:Finally in March I bought them and shredded them. I took each leaf and pulled it all the way down to the rhizome and off the plant. From those 2 VFTs I must have 40 or 50 now!
Sweet. I might have to try that sometime.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!