FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By dimitar
Great pics as always.I also look forward! BTW I like the nep on the final picture its left. :mrgreen:
dimitar liked this
By snapperhead51
Matt , Linton and all
Well it seems the Heliamphora flower I pollinated is showing signs of the ovary swelling what do others think about these pic's , its not like others I have seen in these flowers so far so I am hopping its has taken fingers crossed :mrgreen:
Attachments:
P1090699.JPG
P1090699.JPG (47.63 KiB) Viewed 8971 times
P1090698.JPG
P1090698.JPG (42.32 KiB) Viewed 8971 times
By snapperhead51
Well tried it again Matt on another Heliamphora flower , pollination that is , the stigma was clear on the receptor , but once pollen applied it turned a brown or darker colour , I figure this indicates that the pollen has been excepted , once again must wait and see the result for conformation
J
By snapperhead51
ok a update on the pollinated heliamphora flower, it has swollen up quite nicely now a pic below to show its progress , have pollinated other flowers now , seems its quite easy to do so from what I see, juts takes on short brush stroke with pollen and its done, the receptor changes colour with in several hours and its done , but it must be pollinated well before the actual flower is open fully or its to late , when the flower has just opened and there is a small opening about 1/2 to 1 cm the pollen can be presented to the receptor and its done :mrgreen:
J
just added a few pictures of a flower ready to be pollinated receptor is clear hope you can all see it :mrgreen:
Attachments:
here is a pic of a receptor that has not been pollinated  as yet  you can see the middle is clear  not  darkened
here is a pic of a receptor that has not been pollinated as yet you can see the middle is clear not darkened
P1090759.JPG (50.04 KiB) Viewed 9037 times
same  flower  hope you all can see the receptor  ok
same flower hope you all can see the receptor ok
P1090758.JPG (50.71 KiB) Viewed 9037 times
same again
same again
P1090757.JPG (53.14 KiB) Viewed 9037 times
a seed pod swelling up nicely now  as seen from previous pic's  its changed a lot :)
a seed pod swelling up nicely now as seen from previous pic's its changed a lot :)
P1090730.JPG (47.4 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
see both of these flowers have been pollinated, both receptors  have colour change , the lower flower is now  releasing pollen  about 6 days after pollination  some times more  depending of sun light .
see both of these flowers have been pollinated, both receptors have colour change , the lower flower is now releasing pollen about 6 days after pollination some times more depending of sun light .
P1090723.JPG (49.36 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
a newly pollinated flower see the receptor has changed from clear to a darker colour <br />the pelts have been opened out to take this picture
a newly pollinated flower see the receptor has changed from clear to a darker colour
the pelts have been opened out to take this picture

P1090721.JPG (39.72 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
Last edited by snapperhead51 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
By alabama
from my experience in cross pollination of other flowers
cant you keep pollen on a cotton ball in a jar? and it will stay good?

that has worked for me with all kinds of other flowers and they pollen was still just as good as when i first got it when i used it for cross pollination.
By snapperhead51
alabama wrote:from my experience in cross pollination of other flowers
cant you keep pollen on a cotton ball in a jar? and it will stay good?

that has worked for me with all kinds of other flowers and they pollen was still just as good as when i first got it when i used it for cross pollination.
Hi Collection of pollen from Heliamphora flowers is a bit of a process , using a tuning fork, timing is paramount as the pollen is ripe for a short time , ,and only after the flower has been pollinated or even its its not been pollinated it seems.

The flower is ripe to pollinate before the pollen is ripe in the flower , so your first flower will not be pollinated, its just to collect the pollen, for self pollination or ready for cross pollination's ,this is a learning experience for me to, so if I find some thing has not worked or needs to be changed I will do so as I go, so far what I have been doing seems to be working :mrgreen:
with pollen storage I tried it on paper in the fridge but it was had to work it when it was cold ?? seems best at air temp, easier to apply, so now I buzz it on to the inside lid of a specimen jar ,and keep the jar inverted in a storage draw in my green house ,as the flowers open some 3 to 4 weeks apart some times less , so the pollen doesn't need to be stored for a long time , but I guess this apply if you have many plants , if only one or 2 plants it could be different if you need to store the pollen for some time , but I find for me the flowers come very regularly and for most of the year ,if lot's of sun in available.
Have no experience with heliamphora pollen storage as yet , guess it will be trial and error for that one , did read that some have stored it in the fridge for some period of time warped in tinfoil and a zip lock bag ?? but as I dont need to yet it may be a process I will have to do at some time further down the track, sorry not much help there !! may be I will do a trial and see how it stores as I have lots of pollen on hand ,as the different plants produce flowers this spring will do collections and trial storage , and will post what I fine as I go,as I try more cross pollinations , should be interesting but time consuming !!
J
By linton
Good work on the successful pollination John & thanks for sharing the nice clear photos. I have found an easy way to collect the pollen from the flowers - I gently bend the flowers on the stalk so that they are facing upwards instead of hanging downwards (be careful as the stalks are brittle) and then buzz the stamens with the tuning fork. The pollen will be released and most of it will come to rest on the inside of the petals. It can then be mopped up with a small brush and either used immediately or stored for later use.
linton liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!