FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By limeslide
moof wrote:Yes, and here's some photos about what the hibernacula look like:

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post7 ... tat#p70953

Also you can see they are almost flooded in the moss.

Peter
Interesting! But, I'm pretty sure you don't grow your plants in bogs, so all those microbes & things that keep things going swell probably aren't there, so I assume molding & water stagnation would be ugly in a small planter compared to an entire ecosystem.
I don't mind being proved wrong, teach me. ;)
By moof
Actually I grow some plants like that, the sphagnum moss is fully submerged in water and no molding or water stagnation occurs:) The moss' properties fight bacteria and fungi development.

Peter
By limeslide
moof wrote:Actually I grow some plants like that, the sphagnum moss is fully submerged in water and no molding or water stagnation occurs:) The moss' properties fight bacteria and fungi development.

Peter
Ah! Awesome. :D
What about plants in peat based pots?
By moof
In peat based mediums I had big problems with root rot and mold:/ That's why I use sphagnum. But some plants like peat-based soils and that's very problematic, I have to add a lot of sand to avoid trouble...

Peter
By limeslide
Ah, that's why having location data is a good thing, to know what little extras they need. Have you tried keeping plants in peat based mediums a bit drier?
By moof
Yes, it works then but the utrics (I keep most of them in terrariums) like a high water level, some of them must be even underwater to flower. Location data is very useful, checking out the conditions in the natural habitat is the best way to grow the plants!

Peter
By ironman12123
So when I grow my tropical plants inside, I know im supposed to use flourscent bulbs. Should I just get flourscent bulbs and use a regular light or get a light fixture? If anyone has time, could you show me what the best lighting would be best for my droseras? Thanks a lot everyone, very appreciated!
By sundewman
Hey Ironman,
If you're only planning to grow a few CPs, then all you should need is a compact fluorescent bulb, which seems to work fine from what I've seen from other growers. BUT If you expand your collection eventually, you'll definitely want to buy a fluorescent fixture. I quickly went from a 2-foot T-12 to needing 4 4-foot (2-bulb) T-8 fixtures. You can pick them up at Wal-mart for $9 per fixture, and you can buy bulk cool bulbs at Lowes for about $20 for 15-20 bulbs or so.
I actually put 2 pages together about lighting and using the tray method here:
http://www.growsundews.com/tray_method_ ... lants.html
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/sund ... osera.html
sundewman, sundewman liked this
By ironman12123
So today I got a t8 shop light fixture and 40 watt plant and aqurium bulbs. Man this stuff is cheap. $21 for everything.
By ironman12123
Btw sundewman, your plants look AMAZING. I wish mine would look like that
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!