FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By James
It's about time isn't it!

I finally got a decent camera to take some photos with (ok, I stole my sisters - yeah) but I have photos to show now.
My flowering flytraps "main" flower is blooming quite well right now! Hopefully I'll get some good seeds out of it. Not only that, but it looks like its starting to grow another flower stalk or two.

I took a lot of photos. So I'll only post the highlights here, and put a link to all the photos at the bottom ;)

Here is my flytrap before, when it was just starting to grow the flower stalk: Image

Here is the flower as it is now: Image

Close up: Image

Here is a close up of the two potential new flower stalks: Image

Mmmm traps: Image

And

My Sarracenia: Image

This one is of the new trap I just bought the other day: Image

Why there's sticks holding the traps up off the dirt / moss: Image

One of my cacti is starting to show some really cool flowers too: Image

Image < All the photos

So, what do you all think?
By James
Matt wrote:Nice looking plants James! Thanks for sharing. That must be a pretty decent camera your sister has. Those photos are pretty good. Thanks for throwing in the photo of the cacti flowers too. Love it!
Thanks Matt, It is a really cool camera. I'm hoping to get one like it for myself soon. I'll get a few more photos of the flower as it opens fully (which it almost is) and then as I self pollinate it and it eventually (hopefully) provides seeds. Perhaps we could do a step by step guide for the site? ;)

I have a tray all ready for the seeds when they come out. You might have seen it if you looked at the rest of the photos. It has a plastic glasshouse-like cover which I'll use on colder days here. Though its supposed to be sunny, its raining here at the moment :)
By Matt
James wrote:I'll get a few more photos of the flower as it opens fully (which it almost is) and then as I self pollinate it and it eventually (hopefully) provides seeds. Perhaps we could do a step by step guide for the site? ;)
That would be great! I've been wanting to do that. I should have done it this summer. If you get some good photos of the pollination process, I'd be happy to write the article. If you feel like you want to write it, that'd be great! I can change the status of your account to allow you to write articles on the main site. Let me know if you'd be interested in doing that.
By Carl
Hi James,

Great picture :) Just one quick question in the 7th picture down, your showing a VFT with lollypop sticks around it, is there any reason for this?

Carl
By James
mlvc2002 wrote:Hi James,

Great picture :) Just one quick question in the 7th picture down, your showing a VFT with lollypop sticks around it, is there any reason for this?

Carl
Hi Carl

Thanks. Yes, there's a pic above of two traps on that plant turning black. They were on the dirt and slightly buried, as were most of the other traps when I got the plant. So I decided to elevate them off the dirt. Since I've done that, the two traps have actually stopped turning black. Not that they would function properly anymore but it is interesting all the same.

Later when the weather gets sunnier around here I'm going to re-pot all my plants and separate them. I'm hoping that new dirt will do less damage to any parts of the plant that are touching its surface.

But yeah, they are just there to hold the traps up off the dirt so they stay clean and get more light.

James

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!