FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Daniel_G
hi im wanting to grow some tropical sarracenias but i need to know what temp they need to germinate? also what is cold stratification? :?: :mrgreen:
By moof
Sarracenias aren't tropical plants, they are temperate ones which means they need a dromancy period. Stratification - a period of 4-5 weeks during which the seeds are kept at cool temperatures to simulate the colder conditions in the plants' natural habitat when the seeds lie on the ground, waiting for the spring. It's all about various hormones and metabolic reactions inside the seed, which activity depends on temperature too.

Peter
moof liked this
By moof
So nep seeds don't need stratification at all. They can be tricky to grow from seed, they need lots of humidity and good light. What neps you want to germinate - higland ones? lowland?

Peter
By moof
Intermediate ones? Just keep them in a place where they'll have a high humidity and lots of light, but make sure the temperatures won't get too big. Maybe you've got a terrarium?
By Daniel_G
ive got a spare faunarium (its made of plastic) and i should ba able to kepp the humidity high in there. any other tips?
also what temp is ideal?
daniel
Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!