FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Ryan_V
Hello all!

I just today received two small VFTs and a sundew in the mail, and have planted them in a small bowl terrarium and in a south facing window. I plan on after this dormancy period to put them outdoors. My concern is for this dormancy period coming up. I live in an apartment, so a basement isn't an option, and I've read that the fridge method isn't the best since the VFTs don't get much light. I can't keep them outside, as the temps around here get below freezing during the winters, so I was wondering if anyone may have some suggestions/ideas?

Thanks in advance!
By Steve_D
A terrarium, especially if it is undrained, is not an ideal container and requires more expert care to avoid problems. For lots of comments about this subject, just search the Forum for the word "terrarium."

Regarding dormancy, if you have a window in your apartment that gets cold during the winter (a single-glazed, uninsulating window), you can set the plants on the windowsill where the cold air shed from the window will flow over and around them, cooling them off. If that is not cool enough, then some clear plastic or a closed curtain can help contain the cold to keep the plants happy during dormancy.

It is not necessary to keep the temperature very cold: the 40s to mid 50s Fahrenheit for most of the hours of the day (some daylight hours warmer than that is OK) is fine.

Good luck with your new plants!
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!