FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By grant
so my dente started sprouting a flowering stem (not sure what it's really called). but it's a fairly small plant. so i just cut it off.

but if i did want to keep it. i remember reading somewhere, that after it flowers, you cut off the flower part, now with seeds, then put in some soil and it sprouts new plants. what exactly is the whole process here?
By Matt
Yeah, don't waste those flower stalks! Man, I wasted quite a few this spring before I read about using them to start new plants. It's pretty simple and basically the same process as germinating seeds. I've had the best and quickest results when I let the flower stalk grow between 1" and 3" high and then snip it as close to the base as possible and put the snipped end (not the flower end) in the ground. Then keep it very moist and pretty warm. you should see plantlets starting in 4 to 8 weeks. Sometimes it can take a while. There are more directions and a photo here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation- ... traps.html

I need to take some more photos of the ones I have going right now. I took a pretty long stalk (maybe 4 inches or so) off of my cupped trap and cut it into 4 segments. All 4 of them are starting plants! One of them already has some leaves and traps, but the other three just have little nubs that are barely visible. I started them back near the end of July I think, so perhaps I should revise the above 4 to 8 weeks to 4 to 16 weeks. Sometimes it takes a long time!
By grant
dang. that's pretty cool. too bad i cut it off already. thats alright though. i should have a few plants coming from david (i think that's him name, right) connors.

hopefully he will hook me up too. he mentioned that he had been throwing in extra plants for end of season buyers.
By Matt
Yeah, David Conner is his name and I'd bet he'll throw in some extras for you. He sent me some really nice plants. I ordered one 'Fused Tooth', one 'Sawtooth', and one 'Cupped Trap' from him. Well, he actually sent me two Cupped Trap plants because they were looking pretty nasty. Those two plants are already splitting, so I'll likely have 4 decent sized plants next summer. The Fused Tooth I got from him turned out to be one nice size plant and two divisions, so I have 3 of them and the Sawtooth divided too. I can't tell how many divisions the Sawtooth made because they are pretty small, but it is at least one other plant.
By grant
nice :D well, im deffiantely excited to get them. ill put up some pics when they arrive

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!