FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By moof
So another utric flowering:) U.graminifolia is a small perennial plant, native to Asia.

Peter
Attachments:
fltcare2.png
fltcare2.png (80.48 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
fltcare1.png
fltcare1.png (179.93 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
By moof
Hi Ron,
I've always wondered what may be the cause of the different colors of graminifolia's flowers. What do you think? A friend of mine showed me a photo with almost white flowers. Light maybe? He kept them in rather shady conditions.

Peter
By RL7836
moof wrote:Hi Ron,
I've always wondered what may be the cause of the different colors of graminifolia's flowers.
Sometimes cameras can play games with colors and make similar plants appear different - however, I don't think that's the case here. My guess would be different genetics (different locations) but I really don't have a clue.... :?:
By kayaker78
There are going to be many different factors affecting the appearance of flowers in photographs. One thing that stands out to me in the photographs that have been previously posted in this thread is that the direction of the light source in relationship with the flower is very different. In the picture that Peter posted, the flower is backlit and in the photo posted by Ron, the light source is in front of the flower, most likely a camera mounted flash. Both of the photographed flowers appear the same to me.

There are however several different clones of U. graminifolia available, the flower variation between clones is definitely genetic. I am not sure to what extent conditions affect flower coloration, my guess would be that under extremes there would be an effect; however I have not noticed any effect on the plants I grow.

The flowers pictured below represent genetic variation, both plants flowered at the same time and were growing next to each other in the same conditions. Both pictures below were taken on the same day, using the same camera/multi-flash setup.

kayaker78 liked this
By moof
Interesting info! Myself I think light may affect the flower's colors too, just as in case of U.rostrata. And I also noticed U.uliginosa flowers vary in colour when kept in various temperatures, but I never gave much attention to U.graminifolia.

Nice genetic variation on these photos! I like the second one a lot, never seen a graminifolia's flower like that.

Peter
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!