Ceph. Watering Techniques

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here
Lionhart

Ceph. Watering Techniques

by Lionhart » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Hello there.

I am seeking information on watering techniques that I could possibly use on my plant. I currently use the tray method and since the plant has been on my windowsill six months I have encountered no problems but I am sincerely curious what others use. I did, a week ago, employ the use of a automatic capillary tray method that left the soil waterlogged so I removed it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SELF-WATERING-WINDOW-SILL-TRAY/dp/B001D1D80E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1284234899&sr=8-1-catcorr

What do you use, my friends?

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Ceph. Watering Techniques

by Matt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:58 pm

I top water mine. Depending on how hot and dry it is, I water them every other day to every couple of weeks.
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

The following users would like to thank Matt for this post
Lionhart

linton

by linton » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:06 pm

I have seen Cephalotus grown successfully both using the tray method and the conventional method (no tray). If the pot is deep, then the tray method is OK to use as the crown of the plant is mich higher than the water table and has less chance of rotting. If the pot is a squat pot, standard watering practice is usually employed. As with all CP's, the key to successful cultivation is to make sure that the potting medium never dries out.

I have read that Cephalotus that are grown on the tray method are more prone to rot, but in my experience I have not found this to be the case. Mine are potted in a fairly coarse and free draining mix of silica sand, peat, perlite and vermiculite. The mix is pretty airy and allows the water to drain through quickly, I feel that it also lends itself to the tray method better as there are small air pockets throughout the mix which leads to a healthier root system.

The best method of watering your plant may well depend on the composition of the potting medium itself.
"Vengeance is a dark shadow that
consumes all those that seek it"

The following users would like to thank linton for this post
Lionhart, Matt

Idontkno23

by Idontkno23 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:55 pm

I believe I was reading on ICPS that there Cephs died from using the tray method. I would not suggest it.

twigs

by twigs » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:50 am

Cephalotus are supposedly prone to root rot (see Sudden Cephalotus Death Syndrome) and crown rot. I have not experienced either myself, but the general consensus is that Ceph's like it drier than most CP's.

I top water mine and have a 1/4" to 1/2" layer of silica sand as a top covering on each of my pots. This ensures the crown stays dry even while top watering.
Check out my Cephalotus and Heliamphora auctions : http://shop.ebay.com/fearthelettuce/m.h ... 4340.l2562

snapperhead51
Super User

by snapperhead51 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Guys it really depends on your climate ok ,yes they can be a bit fickle some times but most people just get there conditions all wrong for them, so look up the climate in South Western Australia have a look at the temps rain fall seasons sun ECT all available on the net , and try to get as close to that as possible , we grow them here in water trays all the time in South Australia with no root rot or affects but our climate allows for that as its similar to that of where they grow in the wild but just a bit dryer and warmer :mrgreen: but out side Australia would suggest dryer pots rather than wet and humidity is not a issue as all of lower Australia is low humidity !even winter its high humidity is no more than 50 % some times a bit more of cause, summer well its 20 to 30 % and usually less !!
J

Return to Pitcher Plants