FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Fellow
Hello! I've been thinking about buying a Venus Fly Trap recently, and after coming across this website realise there's quite a lot to maintaining one, so I have some questions, if someone doesn't mind helping.

Well, firstly I'll explain my reason: My girlfriend and I moved into a new house recently. This house has a conservatory, and in this conservatory many many flies gather and spend their time bumping into the glass windows until they eventually fall on the floor dead. I think, why not get a Venus Fly Trap and put the dead flies to good use :P. Also I rather like the idea of owning a carnivorous plant! I'm wondering, though, if I should choose something other than a VFT.

From what I understand, VFT's require a lot of looking after, and I never knew about the 'dormancy' thing until I found this website, and seeing as it's coming up to winter now, maybe I should get a plant that doesn't require dormancy.

Would I be right in thinking a Pitcher Plant doesn't go into dormancy? And they're not too difficult to look after? Or could someone suggest a plant that sounds more suited to me? :D

Also if it helps, I live in England (cloudy and rainy most days, of course :D), and it could get quite cold during the winter.

Thanks!
By x20villan02x
Hey fellow,
Your right at first vft's sound like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it, and know what the plant needs to survive its not that bad :) First, feeding dead flies to any carnivorous plant isn't the greatest idea. Dead flies contain no nutrition for the plant. I mean if you see one that happened to just die than ok, but i wouldn't give it anything that's been dead for over a day. If your looking for something that doesn't require any dormancy you should look into tropical droseras (sundews). Tropical sundews don't require any dormancy, just a windowsill that gets a few hours of sunlight is good and temps above 55degrees. Hope this helped!
By Fellow
Well, I meant, rather than the flies ending up dead on the floor and then I feed them to the plant, the plant could just catch the flies instead. Sorry 'bout that :P.

Though, I do know now not to feed it dead insects!

I saw a video of Sundews on YouTube and they look terrifying :P lol. Though I think I am leaning towards getting a pitcher plant, if they didn't require dormancy?

I'm gonna mosey on down to a garden centre soon and see what plants they have.
By Fellow
Hm, looks like the plant I had in mind (Sarracenia) does indeed go into dormancy. Still, I'll see what they have at the garden centre and then decide! :P

edit: maybe the 'Heliamphora' is more like what I need
edit again: or indeed the Sundews that you mentioned :P I'll find out more about them
By Matt
Hello Fellow and welcome to the FlytrapCare forums!

Flytraps are actually one of the lowest maintenance carnivorous plants that you can grow. Basically you pot them in the proper soil, put them somewhere with really good lighting and keep their soil moist with clean water. That's really all there is to it. Yes, dormancy can be an obstacle for some people, but I think more of a big deal is made out of it than needs to be. Flytraps can go through dormancy in many places. A cool windowsill would work fine, as would an unheated porch, a garage, a greenhouse, etc.

If you'd prefer to not have to deal with dormancy, I'd recommend either a Nepenthes or a tropical sundew. Heliamphora doesn't have a dormancy period, but most species do have very specific growing requirements that are difficult for most growers to achieve.
By HarrisAz
i think the easiest for u is VFT.ur country winter gets cold so just let the plant dormant naturally.no need high humidity..

well if u dont want a temperate plant,u can own tropical droseras instead like D.Burmannii,D.Spatulata,D.Tokaiensis,D.Adelae and some more.droseras look really nice.so i suggest u to own a Drosera instead.
By Fellow
Hey, thanks for the replies :D

So it seems my best choices are: VFT, or for ones that don't go dormant: Nepenthes or Sundew. Are these two particularly hard to look after/obtain in the UK?
By Matt
Fellow wrote:So it seems my best choices are: VFT, or for ones that don't go dormant: Nepenthes or Sundew. Are these two particularly hard to look after/obtain in the UK?
None of those species should be hard to get in the UK.

And as Hayden mentioned, Pinguiculas are another good choice and make good windowsill plants.
By Fellow
Okay, I went to the centre and they actually have a fair few CPs (Sundews, various Pitchers, VFTs). I think I will go with "Drosera Capensis" 'cause it sounds like one of the hardiest CPs, easier to look after, etc. :P I have a few more questions first though before I buy!

I know these plants prefer rain water, so is water collected in a 'water butt' okay to use?

The ones in the store had some fairly small bugs on them - can they also catch slightly larger bugs like flies, wasps, that sort of thing?

Would the plant survive okay in a conservatory (in England)? Would the sunlight be okay, etc. etc.?

Do I need to worry about things like humidity?

Any other general tips? :D

Thanks! Hopefully I can get this soon :D
By Carl
Capensis is one of the hardiest plants you can grow.
Fellow wrote:The ones in the store had some fairly small bugs on them - can they also catch slightly larger bugs like flies, wasps, that sort of thing?
Small bugs and flies are about it and no chance of holding a wasp down.
Fellow wrote:Would the plant survive okay in a conservatory (in England)? Would the sunlight be okay, etc. etc.?
A Conservatory would be a great location, which way does the conservatory face?
Fellow wrote:Any other general tips?
None really, you've already metioned about the rain water
By Fellow
Thanks for the reply :D

Hm, would it be able to catch bluebottle flies? Things that size?

Conservatory is facing north... slightly east!

So I don't have to worry much about humidity? :P

Thanks!
By Carl
Fellow wrote:Hm, would it be able to catch bluebottle flies? Things that size?
If you had a forest of them (about 10-15 plants growing together) yes, but on its own unlikely
Fellow wrote:So I don't have to worry much about humidity
Shouldn't be a problem
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!