FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By RL7836
This summer has been the hottest one on record for NJ (following the hottest spring). Because of this, it seems I spend alot of my time making RO water & watering my plants. Each year, different plants seem to become my favorites. This year, a tray of different versions of S. purpurea keeps catching my eye & I regularly find myself lingering around it. The diversity of colors & veining coupled with the always-present shimmering dew of the companion plants - just grabs me. Based on this, I thought I'd share some pics ... (I hope you enjoy them as much as I do) ;)

Top view of the tray:
Legend:
- Bottom left - S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana, Henderson County, NC (code 21)
- Top left - D. x hybrida (filiformis*intermedia), Burlington County, NJ (4 in tray) >> to the right of this hybrida is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii f. luteola
- Just to the left of middle are two S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana (code 21A)
- Just to the right of middle is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii, Baldwin County, AL (code 23B)
- Above & to the right of middle is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii, Cooks Bayou, Bay County, FL (code 23)
- Far right bottom is S. purpurea ssp venosa 'Brunswick Beauty' (code 22A)
- far right top is another baby luteola seedling (all of my luteola seedling are very slow growers (the opposite of Woodnative's))

Some zoom-in pics:
- S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana (code 21A)

- S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana, Henderson County, NC (code 21)
- just above the montana is D. x beleziana (intermedia*rotundifolia), Ocean County, NJ

- S. purpurea ssp venosa 'Brunswick Beauty' (code 22A)

- S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii f. luteola
- on either side of the luteola are 2 - D. x hybrida with a D. x beleziana just above

Oooops - later edit - forgot this one...
- S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii, Baldwin County, AL (code 23B)
(FYI - more pics in growlist)
Last edited by RL7836 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Steve_D
Wow, Ron. Beautiful, well cared for plants and great photos. I haven't grown many S. purpurea before, so it's very interesting to see these different variations of color and form. I didn't know that purpurea was that diverse (I thought that people were making a big deal over very minor differences).

Very neat, and thank you for sharing the beautiful photos! :-)
By moof
Wow these are beautiful plants, gorgeous setup! Awesome thing.
By JimsPlants
Excellent purps there. I can see how you could easily loose half an hour just looking around this bog. Great contrasts of colours.

Is it undrianed?
By RL7836
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Even though I've had all of these plants in my collection, the differences in color and size and veining are just not as obvious until they are planted together. I'd love to say that this was planned but the reality is that these were mostly spare divisions after separating growth points a year or two ago. In hindsight, i wish I would have used a third location of montana or my purp veinless instead of the two same montana's in the middle - - - maybe next time...
PatsPlants wrote:Is it undrianed?
These are window-box planters found in most big box stores - they incorporate a removable water tray into the bottom - so yes, it has drains.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!