FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Hobbes812
Expert village says it takes a year of growing to get traps about a millimeter in size. Is this true or another fail video by them? Wouldn't be the first time
By Steve_D
Some Venus Flytrap seedlings' first true trap leaf, produced just several weeks after germinating, will be larger than 1 millimeter. I have some seedlings that are now just 4.5 months old since germination, with trap leaves varying in size from about 2 millimeters to over 7 millimeters.

In tissue culture the seedlings, leaves and traps can grow much larger much faster.
By Matt
Those videos at Expert Village definitely have some incorrect information in them. The one piece of misinformation that Wes says that sticks out in my mind the most is something along the lines of "Flytraps need lots and lots of water. They should be standing in water all the time." which isn't true at all.
Steve_D wrote:In tissue culture the seedlings, leaves and traps can grow much larger much faster.
They sure do! In a matter of a couple of months, you can get a plant that's an adult. In about five months in the jar and a few months in good ex vitro growing conditions, they can grow to very mature sizes out of tissue culture.
By Hobbes812
How do you do tissue samples? My trap is about 8 years old and im going to try to get seeds and replant a lot. Takin up a new hobby besides reptiles :) any info on that would b great guys! Joined 2 days ago love the site and shop!
By Andrew
Tissue samples is a term used for part of a plant. You can use tissue sample in tissue culture, and eventually it strike and grow, at a very fast rate. That is, if it's done right.

Here's a link for more information on tissue culture:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/tissu ... t1426.html
By Hobbes812
Wow...... That's a lot. As much as im getting into this hobby that is a bit much for now :)
By tc3driver
as for tracking seed growth, check out this post. Documenting the growth of my seeds this year... I need to update that thread soon...

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!