FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Ethan
Okay, so living in Arizona, I'm glad I can grow my CP's outside, but watering them everyday is where the problems start. I looked all over and found that people had great success with self-watering planters, so I decided, hey, that's for me! I have a plain planter and want to convert it into something like this:
Self-Watering Pot.png
Self-Watering Pot.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
I'm having problems with what media to put in the water storage part, and I've heard that I should steer clear of PVC for the piping part. Any suggestions on the media and piping type?

Thanks!
By limeslide
Hi~
I would just fill the thing straight with peat, you can add sphagnum at the bottom to hold the water as it compacts slower than peat. That's what I plan to do with my bog as I cannot get huge bails of LFSM though. The PVC is alright, just make sure it can withstand UV as the top(exposed to sun) could wear out, fast. Also, drill holes in the pot at the same height around 4 in. (depends on what plant you want to grow, this is an average for all CPs, but if you are keeping only Sarracenia and Drosera I would do it about 3/2 in. below soil level. Dionaea and other select plants like D. tracyii and S. rosea (S. purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii), around 5/4 in., I'd just do 4in to accommodate all plants, though.) below soil level so if it floods, so you won't have to worry about the thing flooding to the top uprooting plants and displacing media. I would not put a dividing membrane as when it comes to re potting, the roots would grow through it and you would have a difficult time undoing that. Hope this helped.
limeslide liked this

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!