FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Yes, that's a normal anomaly (that's kind of an oxymoron I guess) :)

Occasionally Venus Flytraps will grow in any of a large number of weird ways.
By tc3driver
What a cool mutation!

it looks like there is 14+ trigger hairs...
By TENroaches
Matt wrote:Very cool and great photos! I've got a trap on one of my plants that looks very similar right now. I've been meaning to take photos to share with everyone, but have been too busy putting up the new greenhouse.
I wouldn't mind done photos of putting up the greenhouse instead!
By HarrisAz
yea matt,bring us to your new greenhouse.show some pics :D
By Matt
TENroaches wrote:I wouldn't mind done photos of putting up the greenhouse instead!
HarrisAz wrote:yea matt,bring us to your new greenhouse.show some pics :D
OK guys, here are the photos you asked for:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/harbo ... t7098.html
By Xterms
Wicked! o.O I'm wondering how it shuts when triggered. 8-)
By HokiePV
I was carousing a site that sells VFT's recently. They had a red VFT that had a "double trap" that looked like that but a bit more pronounced...

It sold for $500 apparently.

Crazy.
By Matt
HokiePV wrote:I was carousing a site that sells VFT's recently. They had a red VFT that had a "double trap" that looked like that but a bit more pronounced...

It sold for $500 apparently.
Oh, don't get me started on this...wait too late!

I know that Mike Szesze sold a double-trapped Akai Ryu Venus flytrap for $100. You can see it listed here:
http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/ ... chor-49575
Here's a screenshot of it in case it gets removed soon:
double-trap-akai-ryu-100USD.jpg
double-trap-akai-ryu-100USD.jpg (165.31 KiB) Viewed 6954 times
It is the main reason that I don't approve of his business practices. Realistically, that's stealing $100 from someone (well, more like $85 because he charges $15 for a medium Akai Ryu). The double-trap leaf is an anomaly that's fairly common. It doesn't repeat with any regularity on any particular plant, so the plant he sold was basically a common Akai Ryu plant with a mutation. To make matters worse, assuming that the person knew that the leaf would die and the plant would probably not produce another double-trapped leaf for a long time if ever (which whoever bought the plant almost certainly didn't know), there is a fairly high likliehood that the leaf would die fairly quickly from shipping shock. Even if it didn't die fairly quickly, the double-trapped leaf wouldn't last through dormancy and would likely only last a couple of months at most. If the person was aware of this fact and wanted to pay $85 for a double-trapped leaf that they could enjoy for a short period of time, that's fine, but my guess is that the person that bought it wasn't aware of this fact.

To me, selling a double-trapped plant without informing the customer of these facts is basically stealing. It's gross profiteering and I lost a lot of respect for Mike Szesze when I saw that he sold an Akai Ryu plant with a non-stable mutation for $100. It's just plain wrong.
Matt, Matt liked this
By Steve_D
HokiePV wrote:I was carousing a site that sells VFT's recently. They had a red VFT that had a "double trap" that looked like that but a bit more pronounced...
Venus Flytraps are rather primitive plants in some ways, and prone to produce anomalous growth. I had a Flytrap last year in which the petiole split into two, and each of those two sections produced double traps, for 4 traps on one leaf. Perhaps I should have photographed it at its prime and sold it at auction on eBay. But Matt is right, it's like stealing because the plant is really no different than any others of the same clone: any Venus Flytrap might produce anomalous or unusual growth. In fact, it's not really so unusual at all.
Steve_D liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!