FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By masmith
I want a bigger trapsized plant. What is the difference in B52, Vigorous, Bigmouth, and any other trap with larger than normal traps in average growing conditions?
By marianne
if cared for properly they will always make big traps until the cooler months. all the other plants except B52, usually can make 1.75" traps, so 'B52' is pretty average too, it just gets extreme coloration.
The traps may be small if the plant is young too. "German Dentate" gets a little bigger than 1.75".
And you gotta love the short jagged teeth on it.
By masmith
I'm pretty traditional guy. I like the long teeth. Right now i have a typical and it's biggest trap has been about 1". I would like one that gets a little bigger. I may wait till next spring to take on that challenge.
By Matt
B52 usually produces the largest traps for people with people fairly regularly reporting traps over 2 inches. The rest of the clones all usually get traps around 1.5 inches fairly easily and Big Mouth gets the best trap coloration of the clones you listed and the best of any of the green clones I grow right now with perhaps the exception of G14.
By Steve_D
In my own experience, just to add what others have said, B52 and Low Giant make the largest traps under the same conditions as other plants, then Big Vigorous and Big Mouth followed very closely by Fine Tooth x Red. Most Flytraps if grown well and unless they are small because of breeding (like Bohemian Garnet), will produce traps over 1.5 inches and approaching 1.75 inches. The largest diameter rosettes I have seen have been on Big Vigorous, with rosettes over 8 inches and some over 10 inches in diameter, and 6-7 inches tall, when grown under very favorable conditions.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!