FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By alabama
Matt wrote:Excellent question Lily. I like Linton's response. My reasons are very similar to his. The fact that a plant can exhibit rapid movement is awesome. Couple that with the fact that it uses this movement to trap insects and that's just astounding. Think about how incredible it is that nature has devised a way for plants to be able to catch insects with a spring trap.

I also think that they are very exotic looking and I love the coloration of typical Venus Fly Traps and the wide variety of growth patterns of the numerous cultivars makes collecting them very fun for me.
^ just about all said from there.
first time i saw a picture of one was 10 years ago and ever since then its been stuck in my head so i finally got one and simply love every single thing about them there is no flaws! and now, well lets not get on the now topics (i got the disease)
By masmith
marianne wrote:i think anyone who just thinks the plant is cool, shouldn't have any dionaea, because just like music you should have a passion for them not just because you think its cool.
You shouldn't be so selfish about CP's. They are for everyone.
By marianne
if you "had" a gf would you want her to like you for who u r, and not just the shoes u wear???
By tc3driver
marianne wrote:if you "had" a gf would you want her to like you for who u r, and not just the shoes u wear???
That would depend on your intension with said girlfriend. If all one is looking for is a sexual interlude, then it doesn't matter.

Back on topic... They are just amazing, I love seeing the unique ways that nature solves problems. That is what really draws me to these plants, how unique and innovative they are.
By Detsawm
I have them cause I think they're cool.....

IMO anyone can own them as long as they care enough to learn how to look after them properly (had mine 2 months now and it's over doubled in size and looks nice and healthy compared to what it looked like in the plant store :D)
By marianne
I bet you don't if you did you wuld let it die, because you didn't care for it.
By masmith
marianne wrote:I bet you don't if you did you wuld let it die, because you didn't care for it.
I believe you shouldn't let your girlfriend die as much as the next guy (especially if she is a good kisser) but I want to bring emphasis to the fact that WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PLANTS!!!! I personally take very good care of my VFT (Herman). But I don't feel you have to have a unhealthy obsession with VFT's or CP's to be worthy of owning one.
Last edited by masmith on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By masmith
Then don't let her die. lol

Another thing I like about them is mine is it keeps catching the fly that is buzzing around the office. Unfortunately It has caught a fly the past 2 days and another one keeps replacing the caught one.
By RLK
easy enough to answer. they are exotic collectibles that are a challenge to nurture and care for.

they arent like a girlfriend/boyfriend, they aren't like a pet dog. its a plant. they are a curiosity and a collectible of sort. a hobby.

also they eat bugs... i mean... cmon... since when do the plants get to take the pests to task, amirite?

~RLK
Last edited by RLK on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Grey
RLK wrote:easy enough to answer. they are exotic collectibles that are a challenge to nurture and care for.

they arent like a girlfriend/boyfriend, they aren't like a pet dog. its a plant. they are a curiosity and a collectible of sort. a hobby.

also they eat bugs... i mean... cmon... since when do the plants got to take the pests to task, amirite?

~RLK
In fact, some plants ARE pests. :D

Although I've already posted a few reasons why I like Dionaea, I purchased another typical the other day and his colours were so bright that I just had to snatch him up. He's like a crimson sunset. And for me, every new plant is an achievement. I have problems that prevent me from leaving the house, so coming home with a new plant is as much a symbol that I've been able to do something, and to respect that I take great care of them.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!