FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Guest
one last question and maybe i can quit bugging you guys for a while !
a friend of mine has had her traps for maybe two months ? they've been doing very well but in the last week they've started developing these spots. any idea what they are ? the reason i'm confused is that some of the spots are a sort of magenta color, and they're only on the edges of the leaves, so i assume they're not a fungus or something ?
since these plants aren't mine, i can't vouch for the conditions, but i do know that they are growing with fluorescent lighting and i don't believe they are being overwatered.
Attachments:
traps3.jpg
traps3.jpg (235.44 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
traps1.jpg
traps1.jpg (259.53 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
traps2.jpg
traps2.jpg (225.09 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
By branpera
They look to me as if they are not getting the right type of lighting. How long has your firend had the traps for. If they recently recived it is propbally just the shock of its new growing conditions and the traps starting die and be replaced.
VFTs do very well outside in a sunny spot.
Some people have sucess with artifical light do you know what kind of light bulb your friend is using?
By Guest
branpera wrote:They look to me as if they are not getting the right type of lighting. How long has your firend had the traps for. If they recently recived it is propbally just the shock of its new growing conditions and the traps starting die and be replaced.
VFTs do very well outside in a sunny spot.
Some people have sucess with artifical light do you know what kind of light bulb your friend is using?
she's had them for about two months; they already went through a brief shock and were doing very well afterward, and only the edges of the leaves have spots, not the traps. one of them is starting to flower as well, so i don't think that's what it is.
she's using compact fluorescent bulbs, which i used on my VFTs for a couple months before getting a grow light, and they worked well for me. maybe it's not a big deal, but we just want to be safe (:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!