FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By carnivorous1123
does anyone from england grow this? and give me tips where you grow it and can share your experience? cause i was wondering about the heats you keep it in - i don't want to grow it in a terrarium btw. thanks
By snapperhead51
Liam
you will need to look up the conditions you need to grow them ,it dont matter where you are in the world you need to know the actual climate of Western Australia where they live then try to emulate it , I live in South Australia and still find them pigs to grow !! I can tell you now we get no snow or heavy frost summers are hot and winter about no less than 2 c at night below that you are going to have problems !! do some research on western Australia lower south west to know these conditions !
By Hayden
Really theyre expensive plants that are hard to grow. I have ordered a baby one for 8 euros. The place id reccomend keeping them is on a north facing window sill.
By carnivorous1123
yeah but i was wondering how to keep them during winter as your supposed to keep them 13-21 degree c and thats around the temp my room would be all year round so this would make the plant think this isnt right and *boom* then die :( i was planning on putting an ac by it to bring down thetemps a bit what you guys think?
By dimitar
I grow my Cephs success in my tank. There are year round as winter temeraturite not exceed 20 C during the day and night are about 12C. For me it is important that the high humidity around 75 -80%. and large and deep pots. Now in the summer they explode directly from new pitchers, even small feel great.

By carnivorous1123
wow they are such great looking plants!!
By twigs
Cephalotus have somehow earned a bad reputation for being finicky and hard to grow. I have not found this to be the case. I have a Cephalotus growing outdoors next to my Sarracenia and Dionea (temperatures hit 39C today) and others growing inside under florescent lights year round. All my plants are doing well and I have made quite a few divisions and grown mature plants from leaf pullings. I have seen some of my plants go through shock after shipping and after I left one outside during a moderate freeze, but they have always bounced back.
By Matt
I agree with twigs. Cephalotus don't seem to be as hard to grow as their reputation indicates. I have mine growing outdoors as well where the temperatures get quite hot (near 40°C) and humidity levels are very low (15%). On the hottest and driest days, they'll sulk a bit and the lids on the pitchers will close. But they're quite hardy plants.

I think that their reputation for being hard to grow stems from the fact that most growers treat them like other CPs and set them in water all the time. Their roots seem much more susceptible to root rot and this is most likely the cause of "Sudden Cephalotus Death Syndrome." Keeping the soil just moist and not wet seems to be even more important for Cephalotus than it is for flytraps.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!