FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By jamesp
I am new to the terrarium world but like it alot, its a 10 gal tank with Fluorescent lighting. now here are my questions- my plants are not in pots they are planted right into the soil, should I put them into pots ? second the Fluorescent lighting in my terrarium is a coralife 50/50 10-watt light it's about a 50-watt they say, the light is for a fish tank I think it should work. and last what is the best way to keep the humidity high? hope to have some feedback soon.
By hackerberry
Hello James,

It's better to leave the plants outside but if you have plants that requires high humidity, place your plants in pots so you can manage them easier. Raise the pots so that you can add water to your tank. You can even add an aquarium aerator to set the humidity higher. Aquarium lights should be fine. I use Aquarium t5 Plant light for most of my plants/

hb
By jamesp
I wish I could leave my plants outside but I live in las vegas and it's about 10,000 degrees outside haha. that's funny that you said use a aquarium aerator i just put one in today ( should I use the air stones, how should I use it in the right way? ) when i put the aquarium aerator in it raised the humidity by about 15-20%. if you go to my page I have a few pictures of my terrarium.

james
By hackerberry
Hi jamesp,

Airstone should increase you RH [Relative Humidity] more. I experimented on all stuff, mixing plants, reptile and fish supplies. For my highland and nursery terrarium, I elevate the pots and then fill the tank with water and run a powerhead with full blast of air. Made my RH 100%. For the lowland [Heat loving plants], I either add an aquarium heater or a reptile heatpad to keep the tank warm.

hb
By jamesp
ok sound good i'll try the air stone to boost the RH in the tank. I have a Thermometer & Humidity Gauge inside the tank "right now the temp is 80 degrees fahrenheit and the RH is 60, i'm finding it hard to get about 70RH and looking for "cheep ideas". do you think the temp is at a good level?
By hackerberry
80 is ok with most plants. Humidity should also be fine. What kind of plants do oyu have in your tank anyway?

hb
By jamesp
I just have venus fly traps right now, but I have two cobra lilys that should be here in about a week or so and a few pitcher plants on the way. I built a haphazard humidifier after we talked yesterday and I think it mite hit an RH of 80 by the ways its looking, I also taped a vent off in my terrarium in the back and just have the front one open now. I'll put a picture up in the next few days for you to see.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!